• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Two extra 80GB drives...what should I do with them?

mdlestat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
132
So I bought two Hitachi SATA drives (on special) with the intention of putting them into my parent's computer...but that's no longer necessary.

So I have two HDD's to play with now.

I don't want to sell them, and I have a pair of SATA ports free on my new com (the Promise RAID controller ports on my ASUS A8V Deluxe) so I could throw them in there...but I have two 250GB drives already-- one primary, one strictly audio data (SONAR files, loops, and the like) so as you can see, I really don't need the storage space, hehe.


I'm wondering if there's a way to use them as a backup for my C drive somehow...even though the sizes aren't the same, precluding a mirrored RAID setup.

Any suggestions? I have no experience with this stuff...
 
i dont have any experience w/ RAID, but if its possible, you could stick the 2 80GBs in RAID as another drive, and then use Ghost or something to perform regular backups on them.

if RAID wont work, then just set them up as two seperate drives and do backups that way. backup all critical data, like all or your audio stuff, on one drive. and then use the second drive for a personal backup.
 
Stick the long term storage in a file server in the closet, and then do a RAID0 of the two drives. It'll be faster than what you use now, and having the file server will be better for data security because it will be easier to do backups, and it probably won't move around as much.
 
Thanks for the suggestions--I don't have another rig available to make into a server, so unfortunately that won't work.

Is there a way to use each 80GB drive as a backup point for each of the two drives using the software you mention?

As in 80gb #1 = Backup for C:
80gb #2 = Backup for S:

I know the sizes are different, but it'll be a looong time before I hit the 80gb mark on my system drive (I run a lean unit, baby), and I can always have DVD-ROM hard copies made as master copies of projects I do on the S: drive--besides...it's only certain files on that drive I'd want backed up anyway-- the loops I have already on CD, so they needn't be backed up-- only the new and custom stuff I do myself is irreplaceable.


What do you think?
 
just stick the 2 drives in your pc, get norton ghost or some other cloning program, and then set the cloning program to automatically backup at certain intervals on the different drives.
 
Back
Top