• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Two DVD-D output without using 6 power pin

chong67

Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
648
I am looking for a video card that can do TWO DVI-D output running at 25x16 each and doesnt need to have 6 pin power.

Is there such a beast?
 
Last edited:
Sure is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150450&cm_re=hd_4670-_-14-150-450-_-Product

I can understand your frustration though. ATI is pushing board makers to include HDMI + DisplayPort + DVI on the new 5670 instead of dual-DVI, and the 5570 has DVI/DP/VGA so it can be installed in low-profile machines.

If you want to play an occasional game on that card, then consider one with GDDR3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103073&cm_re=hd_4670-_-14-103-073-_-Product
 
Last edited:
I didnt know about this. I was looking at all the Nvidia cards like in the GT2xxx generation.

I guess I have to do ATI now?

I am looking for a card with two DVI-D and no 6 power pin and has a 40 nm process.
 
Last edited:
if youre trying to drive 2 30" monitors without extra power i have my doubts about how well it would work, unless all youre doing is email and websurfing. but even at that, high resolution demands power. im assuming youre trying to do this so you dont ahve to replace your psu? quite honestly for the cost it would probably be easier to just replace the psu then you have a wider assortment of cards to choose from and you wouldn't be gimping your machine.
 
a 4650 would do it, I have 2 for sale..

no 6 pin power require, single slot.
 
I am trying to drive one 30", one 20" and one HDMI/HDTV for now and another 20" down the road,

I want to do it without any 6 power pin and looking for a 40 nm process card.

I am not playing games and only do alot of VMware and play 720p and 1080p movies.
 
I am trying to drive one 30", one 20" and one HDMI/HDTV for now and another 20" down the road,

I want to do it without any 6 power pin and looking for a 40 nm process card.

I am not playing games and only do alot of VMware and play 720p and 1080p movies.

You don't need 40nm to get low power. The 4670 is a low-power wonder that matches or beats the GT 240, all on a mature 55nm process!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GT_240/28.html

4670 versus GT240:

Similar performance at higher resolutions
4670 has slightly lower idle draw
GT240 has slightly lower load draw.

EDIT: wait, tell me again why you need a card with TWO DUAL-LINK DVI outputs if you're not going to power 2x30" monitors? I'm suddenly very confused here. If you wanted three outputs, then you asked the wrong question.

I am looking for a video card that can do TWO DVD-D output running at 25x16 each and doesnt need to have 6 pin power.
trying to drive one 30", one 20" and one HDMI/HDTV for now and another 20"

Also, the DVI outputs can be converted to HDMI with an appropriate adapter.
 
Last edited:
Sorry for confusing everyone and I know you all are trying to help me.

Look at my sig and this is what I have now.

I want to do one 30" and two 20" and HDMI/HDTV.

What video card can do this without any 6 pin power. Can I do it with just one video card?

No games here.

Thanks.
 
Sorry for confusing everyone and I know you all are trying to help me.

Look at my sig and this is what I have now.

I want to do one 30" and two 20" and HDMI/HDTV.

What video card can do this without any 6 pin power. Can I do it with just one video card?

No games here.

Thanks.

Why can't you do it with your existing pair of cards? According to the spec sheet I have seen, your cards have the following outputs:

PNY GTS 250 - 2x dual-link DVI

Gigabyte GT 240 - 1x HDMI, 1x Dual-link DVI, 1x VGA (can use only two at once).

Just hook your TV to the GT 240, and that leaves your three Dual-link DVI hookups for your monitors.

This is why I am confused - you ask for new cards, but your existing cards can give you what you want. Do you want to replace all your new cards with something quieter / lower power? I can't read your mind.
 
I want to get rid of my GTS 250. That thing is running at 160 w right? I hate that 6 pin power code.

I wanted to get another GT 240, but I cant find one with two DVI-D.

Question: If I get another GT 240, can that HDMI output run at 1600x1200 if I use a HDMI to DVI adapter?

Question: If not, then I am looking at 8500 or the 4670 (will look for two DVI-D) which is the next highest to go before I need a 6 pin power?
 
I want to get rid of my GTS 250. That thing is running at 160 w right? I hate that 6 pin power code.

Just because the 6-pin cable + slot is capable of delivering 150w does not mean the card uses that much. The GTS 250 is actually pretty low-power (25w idle, 80w load).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/palit-gf250gts_6.html#sect0

Since you never game, that means your card is ALWAYS idle. You're only going to be saving yourself about 10w at idle if you switch to the GT240. That's a tiny power savings, and certainly not worth all the stress you're going through over it.

EDIT: chong, next time you need help, you would be better-served if you explained your problem more clearly. An example:

I am concerned about the power consumption of my GTS 250, as I use it in a multi-monitor setup with my GT240 for non-gaming work. Can you give me some suggestions for a new card to pair with the GTS 240, and can connect to the following monitors?

Your fixation on the 6-pin power cable made me think your system didn't have one to spare - I thought you were adding a third card and keeping the GTS 250 and GT 240.
 
Last edited:
No I dont mean that at all. I am sorry to cause so much confusion. I apologized.

I am looking at this food chain on the video card: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

The best bang for the buck without any 6 pin power now is the GT 240 DDR5. I got mine for $43 AR and Bing. (You can get em on sale for around $50ish usually). I just wish someone would make it a TWO DVI-D and I would get another one and I will be so happy.
 
No I dont mean that at all.

Okay, what do you mean?

I am sorry to cause so much confusion. I apologized.

I am looking at this food chain on the video card: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

The best bang for the buck without any 6 pin power now is the GT 240 DDR5. I got mine for $43 AR and Bing. (You can get em on sale for around $50ish usually). I just wish someone would make it a TWO DVI-D and I would get another one and I will be so happy.

I am still confused after you wrote this. Are you just looking to add more video cards to your system, and you want as many Dual-link DVI outputs as possible, and the lowest power consumption possible? SPELL IT OUT, in-detail:

1. Are you planning to REPLACE any of your existing video cards? Or are you just adding cards to your existing setup?
2. Is the 6-pin power thing just you being concerned because your power supply lacks more 6-pin connectors, or are you just concerned in-general about power draw?
3. Why do you have an aversion to the HD 4670 I already recommended? You can mix ATI and Nvidia, on XP and 7.

PLEASE answer the above three questions clearly, and I will be able to help you.
 
I myself is confused. Just erase what is up there and lets just do the last 2 post.

1. Yes, I plan to ditch it if I get the right combo
2. I am just concerned about the power draw. I like cable management also.
3. Someone suggest it above. I went to newegg too and he is right. I am looking for best bang for the buck and there anything below $60 is the GT 9500 or the HD 4650.

I am willing to ditch what I had now and go with anything in 40 nm with TWO DVI-D and no 6 pin power and it must be cheaper the better.
 
I myself is confused. Just erase what is up there and lets just do the last 2 post.

1. Yes, I plan to ditch it if I get the right combo
2. I am just concerned about the power draw. I like cable management also.
3. Someone suggest it above. I went to newegg too and he is right. I am looking for best bang for the buck and there anything below $60 is the GT 9500 or the HD 4650.

I am willing to ditch what I had now and go with anything in 40 nm with TWO DVI-D and no 6 pin power and it must be cheaper the better.

But you don't need to stick to 40nm like glue here. If a card is 55nm and uses the same amount of power as a 40nm card, then you are getting what you want anyway. What we need to do is amend your requests to something more generalized:

You want a card that:

1. Has 2 x Dual-Link DVI ports, with the potential to convert the ports to HDMI output via an inexpensive adapter (if you ever want to hook-up a TV).

2. Has the lowest idle power consumption you can get, with a preference for cards without a 6pin aux power connector.

3. Is the cheapest card you can get your hands on. Gaming does not matter.

Did I miss anything?
 
Yes, thats it.

Okay then, let's approach this problem then:

Nvidia:

GT 220 - no models without the DVI/HDMI/VGA combo.
GT 240 - already discussed
GTS 250 - has the ports you crave, but has high power consumption, and is dual-slot with an AUX connector. Also is 55/65nm.

ATI:

All the 5000 series up to the 5670 lack dual DVI. You'll have to pony-up for the 5750, which is dual-slot, has an aux power connector, and is expensive.

THAT covers ALL the 40nm cards available. That means you'll have to go for something older.

Older Nvidia:

9500 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162019&cm_re=9500gt-_-14-162-019-_-Product

Older ATI:

4650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150396&cm_re=4650-_-14-150-396-_-Product

These are the cheapest I've found. Both use very little power, and don't require an aux power connector.
 
Last edited:
1. What about HD 4650? I have seen it with two DVI-D.

2. The other thing is this. If I get another GT 240, can I use one of the HDMI to DVI output(adapter) at 1600x1200? Can this be gurantee on any HDMI video card?
 
Back
Top