Two DSL lines...want 1 connection...

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
This has been sorta "beaten to death", but I figured that I just wanted to ask to make absolutely sure. I did a search, and many hits came up; just wanted to confirm that I was going in the right direction.

My job is getting a new location. We are going to have 2 Verizon DSL lines there, at 1.5/384. Sucks, but that's the only thing available. I am going to get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124127&Tpk=RV082

I just want to be certain that this is going to do what I want it to do: get the 2 DSL lines and combine them into one for "3.0/768" speeds. Although I know that's theoretical, it's what I'm shooting for. Oh, and also, there's going to be load balancing going on there, as well as line redundancy; the router looks like the right one for the job.

Also, I'm going to be running an entire LAN on it of about 8-10 computers, and they are all going to need internet access from that router. Is there anything that I should know regarding having the LAN getting internet access from that dual WAN router, and still being able to see each other on the network?

Thanks for all your help.

No difference in how the workstations will be setup.

However...it load balances, and does auto failover. BUT...don't think that by having a pair of 1.5 meg lines, you'll get "bonding" of some sort and end up with 3.0 megs.

And..drawbacks to load balancing, if you're doing online "session based" programs like online banking, or other various secured login based apps., and your PC gets switched to another WAN port..it'll appear as if your PC is now coming from a different source, and you'll get disconnected from that online application.

With multiple clients accessing the internet, you should be able to use your dual wan config... but large file downloads typically would only be able to use ONE of the connections. There are ways around that such as using download managers which use multiple connections to the server, but a standard download through IE would max at the top speed of a single connection.

As far as setups for the internal network... you shouldn't have any issues.. you'll have two WAN connections, but the router would keep all the internal clients on a single subnet so there should be no problems communicating internally.

As far as setups for the internal network... you shouldn't have any issues.. you'll have two WAN connections, but the router would keep all the internal clients on a single subnet so there should be no problems communicating internally.

Excellent, that's good to hear. I didn't want there to be any unnecessary hardships, and it doesn't look like there will be.

About the large downloads only being able to use one of the connections...is there any way around that other than the download managers? I mean, that's what load balancing is for, right?

load balancing is generally for a network with many clients. Half the clients would connect via one line, half would connect via the other. (roughly)

Excellent, that's good to hear. I didn't want there to be any unnecessary hardships, and it doesn't look like there will be.

About the large downloads only being able to use one of the connections...is there any way around that other than the download managers? I mean, that's what load balancing is for, right?

The only way to use the capacity of both lines during a single file download is to have more than one session going out to the server.... Internet exploerer + Firefox download the file from beginning to end... one packet at a time. Some download managers will create three or four connections to the first file each downloading diffrent parts... those parts are then spliced together when everything is downloaded.

The only other way to utilize the entire speed would be to have bonding on your DSL lines, which would probably quadruple your monthly service costs from the phone company + cost you 10 times more in hardware costs + require a hell of a lot of networking knowlege.

I see not using both lines fully to be a benefit - if someone is downloading a file, they won't kill everyone else's connections + no one will be bitching. I'm guessing with an 8 node network, everyone will know you + will be ready to bitch if they can't get to weather.com in under 5 seconds.

Truely.. how much downloading of large files do you do anyway in IE or firefox? If you're on a P2P network, or downloading a torrent, you'll have multiple connections already.

load balancing is generally for a network with many clients. Half the clients would connect via one line, half would connect via the other. (roughly)

Exactly. Single PCs or small networks won't really utilize them well, larger numbers of PCs will benefit more from it. You can get the equivelant of say...3 megs worth of traffic overall, with a pair of 1.5 meg pipes.

I've done quite a few RV0s with dual WANs.

Back