two different 650Ti models

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review

"... it was interesting to find out that NVIDIA is not going to be disabling SMXes for the GTX 650 Ti in a straightforward manner. Because of GK106’s asymmetrical design and the pigeonhole principle – 5 SMXes spread over 3 GPCs – NVIDIA is going to be shipping GTX 650 Ti certified GPUs with both 2 GPCs and 3 GPCs, depending on which GPC houses the defective SMX that NVIDIA will be disabling. To the best of our knowledge this is the first time NVIDIA has done something like this ..."

Didn't AT rip a popular SSD manuf a new hole for two slightly different drives with the same model #? However I suppose nobody cares at this overall relative performance level / price point. I'm more curious about the power (watt) differences between the two actually, and which model that all the reviewers got.

According to http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review

"... it was interesting to find out that NVIDIA is not going to be disabling SMXes for the GTX 650 Ti in a straightforward manner. Because of GK106’s asymmetrical design and the pigeonhole principle – 5 SMXes spread over 3 GPCs – NVIDIA is going to be shipping GTX 650 Ti certified GPUs with both 2 GPCs and 3 GPCs, depending on which GPC houses the defective SMX that NVIDIA will be disabling. To the best of our knowledge this is the first time NVIDIA has done something like this ..."

Didn't AT rip a popular SSD manuf a new hole for two slightly different drives with the same model #? However I suppose nobody cares at this overall relative performance level / price point. I'm more curious about the power (watt) differences between the two actually, and which model that all the reviewers got.

If you had quoted the rest of that paragraph you would see why they didn't get into it.

"... the difference should be just as insignificant as NVIDIA claims."

It would be interesting to see the claims validated, though. It's taboo in hardware design to do this sort of thing generally. Someone is probably going to trip over a corner-case where their stuff runs notably faster on one part vs the other, etc.

It would be getting more attention if this was a high-end card... how could you tell them apart? Would GPU-Z or some other software be able to pick this up?

Back