two computers thru router to ISP?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
I just setup my new XP computer and in order to access the Internet I just unplugged my ethernet from back of old computer and into new one. It connected to Internet fine and I did the Windows update with no problem, but I noticed a few things:

- keep getting Vtruck.exe error with RoadRunner everytime I reboot new computer
- Host names of computers are different
- DNS Servers are the same
- Adapter (Physical) addresses are different
- IP Addresses are different; probably because it was a different computer pinging and Roadrunner assigned a new IP address to new computer.
- Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DHCP Server are all the same between the two computers presently.

Tonight I plan to hook up the router (Linksys BEFSR41) and the router instructions say to first configure each computer to communicate with the router, then the router with the ISP. As you may already know, I have a few questions:

1. Will this Vtruck.exe error go away once I have everything setup? If not, how should I get rid of it? I tried links through google and nothing seemed to help.

2. What has to be the same between the two computers in order for both to connect to the Internet through the router?

3. To configure each computer to communicate to the router, do I need to have everything on and connected or temporarily disconnect the router from the cable box?

4. To configure the router to communicate with the ISP, I would like to go through the new XP computer. Is this a problem or since I've used the 98SE computer with the ISP for so long should I configure through this one instead?

5. I also want to plug the XP computer into the 1st slot on the router and the 98SE into the 2nd slot. Does this make any difference as well?

Thanks for any help.

1. I don't know

2. Both have to be set to "get IP address automatically" or "IP assigned by DHCP" It's the default.

3. It doesn't matter if the router is connected to the cable modem or not. They are two different networks, separated by the router. They operate independantly. You will not be able to configure the router to talk to the web until you plug it into the cable modem though. :p

4. The router is configured through a web interface. It doesn't matter which computer you cinfigure it though. It has a small OS built in, it's really a mini=computer that only does one thing

5. Plug into any slot you want.

4. Would it be a good idea to use the old computer to configure the router in order to use its Adapter Address to assign to the router. This might be the one my ISP is looking for and doesn't see it on the new computer.

I'm not having trouble on the old computer and the software isn't even installed on the new one. Will that get rid of the problems on my new computer if I uninstall the RR software on my old one once the router is hooked up?

Small hitch when I didn't type in the exact Host Name for the Router to recognize........ISP access stopped after about 2 hours. I fixed that though and both computers are getting on the Internet fine now. I'll worry about the Vtruck error on the new computer later, but I know where to look.

Funtimes:rolleyes::( ....just found out the floppy on my new system is dead.....just ordered one from Newegg. Dang it, if it's not one thing it's another.:eek:

OK, tonight after having both computers on for 2 hours I lost the Internet and had to reset (reclone the adapter address) to my router to get it back. I hope I don't have to do this all the time. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it? Thanks.

I guess I may just have to reconfigure everything again or try shutting down the cable modem and restarting. Any ideas?

It hasn't done it again yet, but I haven't been on the Internet on the other computer (new one) either.

It happened again while I was trying to update VirusScan on both computers (not at same time and each one has a different version). Basically, it stopped about 3 seconds into the DL and froze both computers. I then cloned the adapter address again to the router and everything was fine, started DL again and freezing in 3 seconds, cloned, DL, froze, cloned, DL, froze, etc. I eventually got the updated DAT files on both computers, it just took a while.

I just shut down/turned off/unplugged everything including the cable modem box and will start fresh another time. In the meantime, anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?:(

I was thinking that maybe if the cable modem and router are on all the time, this might help. It seems that if I'm doing something on the Internet on the first computer then I'm fine, but as soon as I get on the Internet on the second computer the problems start.

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
I was thinking that maybe if the cable modem and router are on all the time, this might help. It seems that if I'm doing something on the Internet on the first computer then I'm fine, but as soon as I get on the Internet on the second computer the problems start.

Absolutely leave both the router and modem on all the time. There is no reason to turn them off frequently.

I'm guessing that you are running into a MAC address registration policy. Most cable companies - I know @home did when they were in this area - locked their connections down by MAC address. When they set things up they registered your PC's MAC address and their switch will only allow that address to talk on the line. Now that you've put your router in the way, the cable company sees its MAC address. Call them up and ask them to register the MAC address of your router.

I'm confused, how can they see the actual router MAC address if I cloned the first computer MAC address to it? Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, I'm getting a dedicated cable modem/router surge protector this weekend, so I don't have to keep unplugging the router and this will be left on all the time. Someone at another forum suggested I get the latest firmware for the router.....I thought for some reason I already had it, but now that I think about it I never installed the file; maybe that's part of my problem as well. Can't do anything until Sunday, but will try this stuff as well as a fresh setting up of all the settings for both computers communicating w/ router and router with ISP. Hopefully, this will work.:D

I updated the firmware and put cable modem and router on separate electric line and still had some problems initially but they seemed to go away after about 2-3 hours. Of course, I had the cable modem off most of the weekend. I'll see what happens tonight.

Well, I was getting kicked off again last night. At one point I wasn't able to get on either computer for about 10 minutes. I figure either my router isn't working right (kinda doubt this), I don't have some settings correct for the router or between the two computers, or my ISP is getting through the router somehow. To get the network connection back I've been cloning my MAC address from the Win98SE computer back to the router again; this is getting old very quick.

Let's try and make sure I have all the correct settings first. First I'll give all my router settings, then the Win98SE computer (one with adapter address I've been using the whole time) and then the network WinXP computer settings. Let me know if I have all these correct or need to change things. Thank you.

NEW SETTINGS!!! (3-17-04)

ROUTER NETWORK SETTINGS
BEFSR41 V3 Firmware Version 1.04.17
SETUP
Basic Setup
- Obtain an IP automaticall
- Host name: <same as Win98SE computer as same as before>
- Domain name: <blank>, but maybe I had something here before
- MTU: Enable, 1500
- Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Local DHCP Server: Enable
- Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
- Number of Address: 50
- DHCP Address Range: 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149
- Client Lease Time: 0 minutes (means one day)
- Static DNS 1: 0.0.0.0
- Static DNS 2: 0.0.0.0
- Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
- WINS: 0.0.0.0
DDNS Service
- Disabled
MAC Address Clone
- MAC Clone Service: Enable
- MAC Address: <Win98SE computer adapter address>
Advanced Routing
- NAT: Enable
- Dynamic Routing: Transmit RIP version > Disabled
Receive RIP version > Disabled
- Static Routing: Select Entry > 1-
Destination IP address > 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask > 0.0.0.0
Gateway > 0.0.0.0
Hop Count > 0
Interface > LAN
SECURITY
Filter IP Address Range (all set to 192.168.1.0 to 0)
Filter Port Range (all set to Protocol (Both), Start 0, End 0)
Filter MAC Address
- Block WAN Requests: Block Anonymous Requests > Enabled
Filter Multicast > Disabled
Filter Internet NAT Redirection > Disabled
VPN Passthrough > IPSec Passthrough (Enabled),
PPPoE passthrough (Disabled),
PPTP passthrough (Enabled)
APPLICATIONS & GAMING
Port Range Forwarding
- Start/End all zeros
- IP address all 192.168.1.0
All the rest of the settings are defaults
ADMINISTRATION
Management
- Local Router Access Password: <16 asterisks, never set>
- Remote Router Access: Remote Upgrade/Admin. > Disabled
- Admin. Port 8080
- UPnP: Disabled
- Allow users to make config. changes > Enabled
- Allow users to disable internet access > Enabled (no idea where these last two settings came from or the port 8080???)
Log > No
- Logviewer IP Address: 192.168.1.255
STATUS
Router
- Firmware Version: 1.04.17, Nov. 26 2003
- MAC Address: <Win98SE computer adapter address>
- Login Type: DHCP
- Internet IP Address: <ISP assigned address>
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
- Default Gateway: <ISP assigned>
- Static DNS1: 65.32.1.80
- Static DNS2: 65.32.2.130
- Static DNS3: 0.0.0.0
Local Network
- Local MAC Address: <routers real MAC address>
- IP Address: 192.168.1.1
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- DHCP Server: Enabled
- DHCP Active IP Table: DHCP Server IP Address > 192.168.1.1
Client Hostname: <same as Win98SE computer as same
as before> (but this says None now???)
IP Address: 192.168.1.100 (this also says None now???)
MAC Address: <Win98SE computer adapter address> (None now?)

WIN98SE COMPUTER NETWORK SETTINGS
TCP/IP > VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
IP Address > Specify an IP Address
- IP Address > 192.168.1.2
- Subnet Mask > 255.255.255.0
WINS Configuration > Disable WINS Resolution
- Use DHCP for WINS Resolution (box unchecked)
Gateway > 192.168.1.1
DNS Configuration > Enable DNS
- Host: <Win98SE computer name>
- DNS Server Search Order: 65.32.1.80, 65.32.2.130
NetBIOS > nothing checked, can't seem to enable this from here
Advanced > allow binding to ATM (No)
- set this protocol as default (box unchecked)
Bindings > Client for MS Networks, File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks, MS Family Logon

WINXP COMPUTER NETWORK SETTINGS
LOCAL AREA CONNECTION STATUS
General
- Status > connected (duration/speed are OK)
- Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
-- General > use the following IP addresses
--- IP Address > 192.168.1.3
--- Subnet Mask > 255.255.255.0
--- Default Gateway > 192.168.1.1
> use the following DNS Server Addresses
- Preferred > 65.32.2.130
- Alternate > 65.32.1.80 (I reversed these for the XP computer)
-- Advanced
--- IP settings > DHCP enabled, automatic metric, shows IP address, subnet mask and gateway from above
--- DNS > 65.32.2.130, 65.32.1.80, append primary & connection specific DNS suffixes, append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix, register this connection's addresses in DNS
--- WINS
---- enable LMHOSTS lookup
---- NetBIOS settings: Default (use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server; if static enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
--- Options > TCP/IP filtering (permit all)
-- Authentication
--- Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network
--- Smartcard or other certificate
--- Authenticate as computer when information available
-- Advanced
--- Internet Connection Firewall > Disabled for now.
SUPPORT
Address Type: Manually Configured
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: <WinXP computer adapter address>
DNS servers: 65.32.2.130, 65.32.1.80

That's all the router network settings, Win98SE computer network settings and WinXP computer network settings. I really only want to call my ISP as a last resort. I'm sure I could just tell them I have a router as a firewall on one computer, but I'd rather not just yet. Thanks for any help.

I also have ZoneAlarm running on both computers and XP also seems to have some sort of Internet Connection Firewall enabled by default. Do I need to disable all these software firewalls?

OK, I've disabled all the firewalls (ZA on both computers and the XP Firewall), set MTU enabled to 1500 and made sure the XP subnet mask was 255.255.255.0 and I'm still getting cut off. Does it have to be connected for a while to catch or what?

Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to confirm either a bad router or the ISP (Roadrunner) cutting me off? Or maybe the Ericsson PipeRider cable modem is not compatible with the Linksys BEFSR41 router?

Just found this statement on the Roadrunner site:
"The Ethernet card must be installed and available for Road Runner use. Road Runner is intended for stand-alone computers; for information on local networking capability, contact your local cable provider."

:mad: Well, this is getting ridiculous now. Sometimes I can't even reconnect to the Internet without resetting my cable modem. I've tried all the suggestions from Roadrunner and Linksys and nothing seems to work. Either the router is not doing its job or my ISP is playing games with me. I can't even find out any info. on routers at the Roadrunner Help site.

EDIT: Now I'm having trouble receiving my e-mail messages. This is sounding more and more like an ISP problem.

Near as I can figure after browsing the forums at broadbandreports.com is that Linksys may have a problem with their firmware for this router and may be posting a new firmware version soon.

I've decided that I can't wait for the firmware upgrade as this could take a while and may not even work after this. I've already sent my RMA request into ZipZoomFly and was wondering should I get the D-Link DI-604, DI-704P or the SMC 7004VBR to replace the Linksys BEFSR41 v3?

:D OK, I'm not giving up yet, I got some ideas from another forum that might just work........update at Eleven or whenever!

i just recently bought the di-604, i thought i was gonna have to configure it, worked right after i plugged all the cables in. i think it disconnected a few times or could of been the modem. but no problems with it. i like it for my first router. hehe

Farther up this thread I have some router and computer settings (the long post). Anyone that's knows enough please check to confirm my new settings are O.K. No disconnections yet. Thank you.

:mad: Well, I sent the Linksys back for a refund and now have a D-Link DI-704P router and I seem to have the same problem so far.

OK, this is getting a little out of hand. I tried last night with a new router (D-Link DI-704P) the default settings (automatic) and setting the IPs to different consecutive numbers as suggested instead of automatic and with just one computer connected to the router I keep getting cut off again. I have cloned the MAC address of the computer that Roadrunner has on file. The cable modem lights are 3 continuously on and not blinking when I'm cut off. I reset the cable modem for 5 minutes and the same thing happens. I have also tried resetting the router and still same problem.

I did leave the router and cable modem on all night after leaving the modem with 3 lights on and not blinking and I check this morning and two of them were blinking like they should be with a normal connection. I didn't turn the computer on because I had to get to work. Any ideas on what might be going on now?:confused:

did you ever talk to RR tech?

call 1800 roadrunner
ask for level 2
wait
ask for level 3
explain problem
wait for authorization.
wait
talk to someone who fucking knows wtf is going on, the level 3 guys can see eveything about your modem, and usually can help you fix this type of shit

I'm probably going to do that on Monday, but I've hesitated because they might charge me more if I have two computers. Maybe I could just give them my router MAC address and be done with it. I've heard at other forums that it probably isn't RR cutting me off, but I really don't believe that. I have a RR tech in another forum and I'll ask him if it's safe to call.

Lots of disconnects last night. I'm calling Roadrunner today or tomorrow for sure!:mad:

.....just called and they said some other people are having trouble with bad modems, so first replace the cable modem and then see what happens.

I'm doing this today and will test tonight!

:D Well, I think everything is working fine for now! They gave me a new cable modem (Motorola SURFboard).

Back