• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Two Card CF vs. Single Card X2 CF

Pyros

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
135
This has probably been asked, but I'm blanking on a good search string. Here's my question:

Does CF on an single X2 card suffer from the same limitations as two cards in CF? I tried two 3870's in CF and a lot of games ran worse with CF than with a single card.

I'm thinking of getting a second 4870, or 4870X2, when prices drop. If CF issues are the same in both cases I may get a second 4870 and hope the drivers mature.

Thoughts?
 
Dual 4870s and the 4870X2 perform nearly identically in most tests, although the X2 edges out in certain ones due to its increased amount of RAM per GPU. Realistically, there wouldn't be much of a difference.
 
Dual 4870s and the 4870X2 perform nearly identically in most tests, although the X2 edges out in certain ones due to its increased amount of RAM per GPU. Realistically, there wouldn't be much of a difference.

qft, also depends on the screen resolution that you will be playing @.

if you are not pushing 1920 x 1200 or 2560x1600 the extra ram helps and be seen performing best @ those high resolutions.

if you are gaming w/ anything under, then duel 4870s will be plenty
 
Nether setup has substantially better CF support (e.g., CF HD4780s vs. X2) unless you're talking about performance, in which case the X2 will inch away from 2 HD4870s in CF. If you're referring to "micro stutter" then it can/does exist (depending on who you talk to :rolleyes:) on either setup. At this point in time how well CF is implemented really lies in the drivers.

If you already have a HD4870 it probably would make sure sense to pick up another. However, if money isn't an issue then I would definitely go with an X2. That's the route (X2) I plan to go once I get my water cooling setup underway. :D
 
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I may try an X2. I'm trying to put the finishing touches on my rig. I know future proofing is futile, but I'm tightening up our budget while our kids are in college, so this will be my last purchase for a while.

Lol, I now have time, but don't have money...
 
I'm running 2x 4870 and havent had any issues. One thing to remember though is that if the x2 dies you are sol until it gets back from RMA, if 1 of the singles fails, you still have your other one :)
 
Back
Top