Twitter Tests New Ad-Blocking Reader Mode

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Twitter, a company that makes its money by selling ads (even though it has never turned a profit), has decided to test a new feature that strips ads, links and comments out of web sites it links to. I guess if they can't make money on ads, no one else should be able to either.

Twitter is testing a new feature on its iOS app which turns on Apple’s “Reader” mode by default on every link opened in its in-app browser. First introduced in 2010, and ported to iOS in 2011, Reader mode is a oft-forgotten feature in Safari that strips out most of the formatting from a webpage, removing adverts, navigation links, comments, and almost everything else except for the main content of a text-based article.

It's a business model. First they strip the ads from the sites, then they offer businesses a way to put the ads back in for a nominal fee, and then they get a cut from the ads as well as money from the websites.

It's not extortion, it's a business plan! They have to make money somehow, right?

And yet... if only Twitter would simply offer Twitter users an option to use the Twitter service WITHOUT ads for say $2.99 a month, $10 a year... they'd probably make a profit in just a single day.

And yet... if only Twitter would simply offer Twitter users an option to use the Twitter service WITHOUT ads for say $2.99 a month, $10 a year... they'd probably make a profit in just a single day.
True. There are a lot of suckers out there. Most of them are probably Twitter users.

When I think of twitter, I don't think of birds, I think of twits.

Reply to post #4:
I think that's the plan here. First they test (a beta version of) the new app to make sure it works, then they let you subscribe to use it.

Back