Twitter Restores $50,000 @N Username

Decent outcome, still not convinced that someone would actually pay 50k for @N. Made for a good clickbait headline though.

Good for that dude. Pretty shitty how he got screwed out of his handle.

It's tough for some of us to think up handles we like elsewhere.

Good for that dude. Pretty shitty how he got screwed out of his handle.

It's tough for some of us to think up handles we like elsewhere.

Not really. He was a bit of an idiot in receiving automated emails saying someone was trying to access account, which he looked at and then chose to ignore.

The story is obviously more complex and I knew he'd end up getting it back but there was stuff he could've done to protect himself better.

Not really. He was a bit of an idiot in receiving automated emails saying someone was trying to access account, which he looked at and then chose to ignore.

The story is obviously more complex and I knew he'd end up getting it back but there was stuff he could've done to protect himself better.

Step 1 of protecting yourself on the internet is "Don't do business with GoDaddy." They're the ones that let the attacker steal his identity by guessing his CC#s.

The part about trading the stolen domains for the twitter handle does seem a bit outlandish to me though. Why would the thief take the time to transfer the domains back once he got the handle and not just disappear once he had what he wanted?

Glad this is all worked out. Wonder if PayPay ever admitted any wrong doing in this yet. I know GoDaddy manned up and admitted it

I remember reading the first story when he lost @N and thinking "holy shit, someone would go through all of that just to steal a twitter account"
Guess it's good the guy got his account back in the end. Sad thing is I bet most people who lose accounts that way don't. GoDaddy letting the guy guess the last digits of the credit card number was just ridiculous. At least they did admit fault and stated they would retrain the employees.

Steve:

Remember the guy that got screwed out of his @N handle with the help of PayPal and GoDaddy?

Fixed that for you.

Back