Twitter Keeping 140-Character Limit

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that all those rumors about Twitter raising the character limit from 140 to 10,000 aren't true. Jack Dorsey told the Today Show that the 140-character limit is staying.

Twitter Inc's 140-character tweets are here to stay, Chief Executive Jack Dorsey said on Friday, ending speculation that the microblogging site might abandon one of its trademark features for a 10,000-character limit. "It's staying. It's a good constraint for us and it allows for of-the-moment brevity," Dorsey said on NBC's Today Show.

Good. It works fine like that.

You want up to the second updates on anything? News feed? 140 is plenty. It's basically a live stream. Following hash tags or a certain person, and you can follow the situation.

Twitter seems like a POS service. But, when you find that need and get it to work how you want, it's pretty valuable. I like it. Hated it at first until I found ways to make it work for me...

Twitter seems like a POS service. But, when you find that need and get it to work how you want, it's pretty valuable. I like it. Hated it at first until I found ways to make it work for me...

I'd argue that Twitter seems like a POS service because it is. Arbitrary rules don't make a service better.

That was pretty obvious. Twitter is for the sound bite culture which would be threatened by the facts, figures, and context that raising the character limit would provide. Stay ignorant my friends.

That was pretty obvious. Twitter is for the sound bite culture which would be threatened by the facts, figures, and context that raising the character limit would provide. Stay ignorant my friends.

Usually, it's unedited facts. They come in as they are happening before they are censored, sanitized, etc.. Sometimes, it's too much detail (launch parties, etc.). Plus, you can add links for more info or pictures or video.... Tons of facts on Twitter. If you want to see them. I'm sure some people refuse to put any on arguments. Same thing here, though.

If they wanted to make some money they could have just said $10 a month gets you 160 characters. I'm sure plenty would sign up.

It's just as easy to embed an infographic that goes over 140 characters. I'm not sure why they couldn't make it a little longer.... maybe 200 characters? Make it a round number, at least.

Apparently, the limit was initially due to "The reason is so that when tweets were sent via SMS, messages wouldn't be split. SMS messages are 160 characters and they wanted to leave 20 characters for the username." (Source: Why does Twitter have a 140 character limit?).

Makes sense. Or it did. Now, it's a shit limit. I don't know of anyone that uses SMS for Twitter. There are apps abound that work directly with the service....

All social media just sucks and should die away. Totally worthless time waste.

Back