Twitter Getting into E-Commerce with Stripe?

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Along with your direct messaging and retweeting, you may soon be able to buy stuff directly via Twitter. #impulseshopping #buyersremorse

Later this year, Twitter is expected to unveil buttons within tweets that say “Buy” or some variation of the word; after clicking on the button, shoppers are expected to be able to enter in payment and possibly shipping information without leaving Twitter’s service. Sources say that businesses that want to sell products or services within tweets are being instructed to sign up with Stripe to process payments on their behalf. While Stripe is believed to be Twitter’s only payments partner now working on the e-commerce business, it’s not clear whether that will remain the case over the long haul.

They might as well rename social media to social marketing because that's what it is. I'm fucking sick of seeing every company send a re-tweet every time one of their sheep mention one of their products.

I JUST WALKED PAST A NIKE BILLBOARD!!!

::Nike re-tweets::

Good lord, shut the hell up.

They might as well rename social media to social marketing because that's what it is. I'm fucking sick of seeing every company send a re-tweet every time one of their sheep mention one of their products.

I JUST WALKED PAST A NIKE BILLBOARD!!!

::Nike re-tweets::

Good lord, shut the hell up.

I'm also sick of every website putting stupid social networking buttons on every webpage, which rely on and load tons of useless javascript and tracking cookies. I go out of my way to block this garbage and can't wait till these companies become the next Myspace.

twitter seem designed for commercial and media from the off.

I had never used twitter until a few weeks back and observed a lot.

So I was following a youtuber who was quite new but making funny videos,

She in a few videos kept saying she dont know how she got popular so quick, which to me seemed weird as well, I am sure she knew but obviously wasnt saying.

I observed she wasnt replying to comments/email etc. so I signed up to twitter just to leave her a message, but had to do it as a public tweet which I had no real issue with at the time.

Anyway I followed her and a few other people, and started noticng commercial tweets appearing in my feed, but also started noticing something else that was more telling, she was doing retweets, promoting other people she followed and some of these retweet's had youtube video links, I then checked out these other people and they were retweeting her youtube video stuff. *bingo* thats how she got popular on youtube. I also noticed her retweeting some tweets from a media company, and looked into this company, and it runs a service where it deals with promotion, bringing its people together etc. and suddenly it all starts making sense. Because this youtuber, who is supposedbly a university student, made 2 trips to euro disney and disney world in close succession then went on holiday to holland right after disneyworld, and generally uni students are not that rich, in addition after she came back she was meeting up with other youtubers, attending special media events etc. All bit OTT for someone who is supposedbly a amatuer youtuber. She also has other "internet celebs" (probably others part of this media company) sending her stuff in the post yet she has no published address as has no PO BOX yet. Giving the impression she is interactive with her fans but really its all just cross promotion stuff, that seems to be twitter's main purpose.

Like you cannot PM someone unless they follow you, that seems weird until you realise its designed to stop companies having to deal with PM's of people that follow them.

I ended up unsubbing from her on youtube and on twitter as I felt conned by someone who is supposedbly doing it all for fun etc. when clearly was something professional going on, but I ended up following square enix and some other companies on twitter although it all feels a bit like spamfest of ads.

Good lord, no.

Links to websites built for e-commerce, meh. I don't twit simply because of this nonsense.

Well, that and Twitter is purposely built for late night career ending blabbermouthery, which used to at least be confined to dive bars.

No thanks.

Back