Twist my rubber arm...

Nephelim

n00b
I'm planning a new build, and I'm torn between whether I'll WC for real at the start, or just use a swiftech 240-X for CPU and leave GPU(s) on air for now.

Case so far will be: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case
Proc: i7-4790K
GPU: GTX980 -- One or two, ref card or not... Details hazy.
MB: Asus Formula vii

So. I haven't done watercooling since... 2000? 2001? My last build in 2007 was on air and quiet, so WC just never happened. The world has changed so much while I was gone.

My original thinking was to build with one GPU, air cool everything. I saw how cheap/easy/effective the Swiftech 240X looked and decided to throw that in. Which started me down the path... Now it's all ballooned into "Well, if I don't do SLI now, I'm unlikely to ever do it at all." If I'm doing SLI, I may as well go full WC. If I do so, it's going to be all custom loop.

What I'm looking for is a little advice. I figured if I was going to do WC 'later', I wouldn't have to stick to a reference 980 card.

My budget is undefined. I figure ~100 for each block, radiator. Rectally derived I end up expecting about $500 in WC parts. Correct me if I'm way off base, please.

I assume I'm better off with a ref card, so I can get full cover. I am going to OC, I'm probably not going to push voltages much when I do.

My request, then, is to twist my rubber arm and get me back into WC with a little advice and guidance on who's parts don't suck these days, on sizing, and pretty much whatever advice you feel like hurling at me.

This is an extremely quick response, since I recently bought a ton of equipment and the sticker price was much higher than anticipated, but it seems like you missed pumps/reservoirs. Plan the loop first and come back, you might be surprised.

Back