Tweaking a mixed N and G network?

This is a pretty long post and the first two paragraphs are the background story so feel free to skip to the third paragraph (not including this one) to read the question.

Ok so I have a DIR-655 as my main router in the living room and a Hawking wireless N range extender in my room since I couldn't get a stable connection with the PC in my room. I haven't messed with the settings much in the router aside from setting up and securing the network for mixed operation B, G, N. Lately I've noticed that my PC is only able to utilize 40% of my actual connection regardless of other network activity and I decide to look into it. I've tried everything client side on the PC and could not get anywhere near what my connection can handle. I know it's nothing wrong with the actual connection as the wired computers are able to hit the peak no problem and even my laptop can hit it without a hiccup just the PC.

I then decide to look into the wireless settings of my network and see if anything was out of place. I vaguely remembered about the friendly neighbor features of these draft-n routers and went in to investigate. Upon entering the wireless config I see an option for channel width which is set to auto 20/40mhz and on the status page it shows as using 40mhz. I made the necessary adjustment to operate in 20mhz only and to my delight it fixed my connection issues. I'm now able to consistently max out my connection on the PC in my room connected to the wireless range extender.

All is well except I've been frustrated with these slowdowns for a few days now and thought my wireless nic was at the end of its life so I ordered a new card and a usb adapter. The card I ordered is the D-link DWA-552 PCI adapter and I'm hoping to take advantage of the improved network transfer speeds. My question is I have a PS3 and two laptops that connect to the router wirelessly and all three devices are only up to G standards, will my new N card suffer due to operating in the lower channel width? Can I get around this somehow possibly with the wireless range extender serving just N clients while the G devices connect directly to the router? There's a noticeable difference in how fast the extender and the router communicate at in 20mhz and 40mhz as 40mhz yields at higher sync rate. If a compromise must be made then I'd rather not degrade the connection of the G clients as they're bad enough already (my PS3 did disconnect a lot).

To summarize my setup I'll have a N router in the living room a PC and XBOX 360 wired to it. I'll have a wireless n range extender in a room about 50 feet away from the router with 3 walls in between the two. I'll have a PS3, a PC and a laptop in the same room as the wireless range extender. There's also another laptop in the room adjacent to the wireless range extender. There will be other devices such as iPods, iPhones, etc connected but they rarely utilize the network so it's a non-issue.

My apologies for the long post but I wasn't sure how to come out with it so it just turned into a blab of some sort. I'd appreciate any suggestions or tips on tweaking the network for optimal performance.

Back