TWC doesn't allow other DOSCIS 3.0 modems apparently...

Bop

2[H]4U
Just a heads up to anyone in the Albany, NY area: TWC apparently will not allow anyone to use their own modem under their DOCSIS 3.0 network (Road Runner Extreme).

I purchased a Motorola SB6120 and called to register the MAC address. I talked to someone on the phone who had no idea what they were talking about. They never heard of the modem and the system wouldn't let it through because nobody tried to register that model before. They sent a tech out who called a higher-up about the issue and the higher-up NEVER called back. He got fed up after waiting and just let me downgrade my service at my request. Tech was furious because nobody could give him a yes or no answer.

They originally provided me with a Ubee DDW3611. I tried to pass-through the connection to my router which did not work. The tech had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if he knew how.

I'm really disappointed with the end result but I'd rather have my own networking equipment. I'm tempted to call back later and see if I can talk to someone that may be able to find out.

I have TWC in Southeast Texas. My SB6120 would not connect at first either. I called customer service and they sent out a tech who didn't know what he was doing and was no help. I got DSL service in the mean time and left my SB6120 plugged in. After about a week I noticed one of the lights on the SB6120 that was previously off was now on. I checked it out and was able to change the MAC address on my account and get a working connection. Dunno what happened, but that's my experience.

Just keep calling back until you get someone, get it escalated if needed. My boss lives in Buffalo NY and is using a SB6120 with his RR Extreme, and said that it took him about 6 phone calls before he got to someone who was able to help. If nothing else you could try writing to their VP of customer service. I did this a few times when I had comcast over similar issues (Had a SB5101 that after moving from one property to another stopped working). After writing two emails I got my issues resolved.

Just a heads up to anyone in the Albany, NY area: TWC apparently will not allow anyone to use their own modem under their DOCSIS 3.0 network (Road Runner Extreme).

I purchased a Motorola SB6120 and called to register the MAC address. I talked to someone on the phone who had no idea what they were talking about. They never heard of the modem and the system wouldn't let it through because nobody tried to register that model before. They sent a tech out who called a higher-up about the issue and the higher-up NEVER called back. He got fed up after waiting and just let me downgrade my service at my request. Tech was furious because nobody could give him a yes or no answer.

They originally provided me with a Ubee DDW3611. I tried to pass-through the connection to my router which did not work. The tech had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if he knew how.

I'm really disappointed with the end result but I'd rather have my own networking equipment. I'm tempted to call back later and see if I can talk to someone that may be able to find out.

If you want the Ubee put in pass thru you need to call into support and they will do it....

The WebGui won't work they way you're trying to do it.

RF techs in the field will probably have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Just keep calling back until you get someone, get it escalated if needed. My boss lives in Buffalo NY and is using a SB6120 with his RR Extreme, and said that it took him about 6 phone calls before he got to someone who was able to help. If nothing else you could try writing to their VP of customer service. I did this a few times when I had comcast over similar issues (Had a SB5101 that after moving from one property to another stopped working). After writing two emails I got my issues resolved.

Hah, I'll be damned. Called again and the guy on the line made me wait quite a while but I've got 30Mb/s down and 3.5Mb/s up now (guess the upload speed is below average tonight). I had them register the modem for turbo and then had it upgraded to extreme right there.

Hah, I'll be damned. Called again and the guy on the line made me wait quite a while but I've got 30Mb/s down and 3.5Mb/s up now (guess the upload speed is below average tonight). I had them register the modem for turbo and then had it upgraded to extreme right there.

Glad to hear it man. I worked as a call center drone and the one thing I learned is that if you don't get your issue fixed in about the first 15 minutes, or the person on the other end doesn't have a clue as to how to fix it in the first 15 minutes assume the call is going nowhere and hang up as soon as you can. Call back and call back until you get someone who knows what they are doing. If by your say 3rd call see if you can get it escalated usually there is a group of "senior agents" (people who actually know what they are doing) that you will get transferred to, usually if you end up talking to a manager this is who they will send you to (for every 100 warm bodies answering phones there are about 10 who can actually help).

What were your speeds before?

Bop, if you don't mind me asking- Have been been able to confirm these speeds with your sb6120 through time warner in albany, ny? Curious because I'm thinking about getting the same modem, tech support has told me several times that they don't have roadrunner extreme in the area yet (even though i can upgrade online to it) and also that we can't use our own modems with it

I used to work for a small isp in ohio as a tech support and some times as tech we could spend any where from 5mins to 2 hours on a call to fix the customers problem as best as we could and if we could not get the issue fix we would send are ticket information back to the main gateway (office) and the main office techs come out and take look at the issue. Some times when customers calls in to register new modem with new mac address some times it can take from 5 mins to a hour before the mac address registers with are system. So next time just call in and tell them you need mac address updated on your node/profile then make sure you keep the modem plugged in for about hour in-case the modem needs to be registered to the network.

how do you tell if you have docsis 3.0 in your area or not? I think comcast has a map or zip code search. But for TWC I cant find shit.

how do you tell if you have docsis 3.0 in your area or not? I think comcast has a map or zip code search. But for TWC I cant find shit.

If you have their RR Extreme package then you have DOCSIS 3, if you just have the RR Turbo you have DOCSIS 2.

Back