Tv's vs Monitors.... v.809383

magik20

[H]ard|Gawd
ok i imagine that this has been asked before but i couldnt find it with a few quick searches.

Questions

1) with LCD TV's coming down in price ALOT, any drawbacks to using a 30 or 40 inch LCD screen as a Monitor on my PC?

2) why are 24 inch wide screen MONTIORS costing almost as much as 40 inch LCD (cheaper brands)

thanks!

magik20 said:
ok i imagine that this has been asked before but i couldnt find it with a few quick searches.

Questions

1) with LCD TV's coming down in price ALOT, any drawbacks to using a 30 or 40 inch LCD screen as a Monitor on my PC?

2) why are 24 inch wide screen MONTIORS costing almost as much as 40 inch LCD (cheaper brands)

thanks!

As long as you can tolerate the lower resolution, it should be ok. I don't think I could game at 1366x768 though, too grainy. That's basically one of the biggest reasons why 24-inch monitors cost more than large LCD TVs. You're talking about 1920x1200 vs. 1366x768. That makes a huge difference in gaming.

Choad Namath said:
As long as you can tolerate the lower resolution, it should be ok. I don't think I could game at 1366x768 though, too grainy. That's basically one of the biggest reasons why 24-inch monitors cost more than large LCD TVs. You're talking about 1920x1200 vs. 1366x768. That makes a huge difference in gaming.

There are quite a few factors here, but most of what is written above is correct.

Firstly, there are only a few LCD Tvs that would be worth your purchase if you are sitting as close to the monitor as you would a normal computer monitor.
Westinghouse has a 42 inch LCD that is 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) This is one of the very few LCDs that you could sit near (but not as close as a normal computer monitor) and actually use as a primary computer monitor. Also, to get the full resolution from it, you must purchase a DVI to HDMI cable to get a digital connection to it. (20 bucks)

Most others are 720p or (1280 by 720 or 1368x768 depending on TV) and this would be fine for gaming but you need to sit farther from the TV to get the full effect of the TV, mainly because in a 37 inch or 32 inch at this resolution will look muddled and ghost from a close distance. Basically the pixels are too big from a close distance

Next, the few choices that actually are worth your time have half the resolution of a 24 inch Dell monitor (or whichever you would choose)... so in my opinion, it all depends on your needs and budget..

take it from me, I have both... a dell 2005fpw and a 1080p LCD, I use both but prefer the 2005fpw for computer needs because I can sit closer... I use the 1080p LCD for TV and xbox 360, I ue it as an HTPC but don't do a LOT of web browsing on it.. if you would just be switching to a TV LCD, then you won't be happy... there is just no comparison on pixel count.. but if you have both, you have the best of both worlds! If I had to do it all over again.. I would just add a 24 inch dell to my bunch!

in the end, its all about pixel count... there are a few 1080p LCDs out there, and most others are turning to this resolution as time goes on, sony calls this resolution (FULL HD, 1080p)
thats why the prices of 24 inch computer monitors are near a 720p 40 inch LCD! hope this helps!!

I'm looking at your post in 42". With my keyboard and Mouse on snack tables. Just got done playing a little Day of Defeat Source. :)

I used to be quite tempermental about slight blurring.I swear I must have binoculars attached to my face. But the irritation was also party because the only advantage was desk space. For 42" of awesomeness I deal. :D It's a bit different anyway now when my nose isn't touching the screen. I noticed that when I watched other people play games on my PC and a 2405. Unsatisfactory for me but from a few feet I wondered what my deal was. 37" probably best for desk duty.

My PC's "other" screen is an Fw900 so I have my bases covered.

Make sure you get 1080p if you do it. Well, that's what's closest to my target res before the LCd anyway. If 13X76 or 720 p is more for you than that might be ok. I got too many toys. It would have been underutilizing my PCs ballz.

If you think when you look at a 24" display "this can be bigger" then this is your best route. 1080p is nice and high and even a 30" PC monitor gets to be a little redonkulous on the res side and the gpu power needed to render it.

PS jacob... you dont need the HDMI adapter with westinghouse. In fact I don't get 1:1 pixel mapping that way. It's underscanned. Which hence makes even setting 1920*1080 look like it's running non native. Which it kind of is in that case. Straight to DVI and now I got the razor text and all.

after thinking about it i think a 30 or 40 inch LCD with the 1080 rez will work great

still like to see some up close TV's using a computer just to see what im getting myself into.

Back