• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

TV's and "clean power" adapters

Molingrad

Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
706
I have a relatively new sony 30" HDTV that I am very happy with. I recently noticed that whenever i turn the lights off i get a static line on my TV screen.

I was looking around in best buy and came across a few "clean power" devices most ranging from 100 - 200 $. anyway i found this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1122655460958&type=product

it says its provides clean power so it regulates somewhat and is only $39.99. would this be adequate or should i save up for the $100 or more ones?
 
This could be caused by a number of issues.

-If you own a home, you could start by calling an electrician and having him/her install a dedicated AC outlet and/or ground for your home theater setup so it is no longer sharing with other outlets in your home. From what I have read, most electricians do not recommend the dedicated ground idea. Just have them make sure your existing grounds are hooked up properly.

-You could upgrade all your home theater cabling (even AC cables) to high-end shielded cables such as Monster Cable.

-You could get a line conditioner for your home theater.

If you are [H]ardcore enough to do all that, then I suggest:

-Have a surge supressor installed at your circuit breaker panel by an electrician and then have a seperate surge supressor hooked up directly to your home theater.

-And finally, get a voltage stabilizer for your home theater.

I know most people here seem to bad mouth Monster Cable because they are expensive, but they have most of what you need. (yes, I am a fanb0i ...LOL)


EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can pick up an AC outlet tester at your local hardware store too. Then test your home theater's outlet to make sure it is wired correctly.
 
mike_j_johnson said:
EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can pick up an AC outlet tester at your local hardware store too. Then test your home theater's outlet to make sure it is wired correctly.

Just use 2 paperclips and lick your fingers!
 
The only time you get true power conditioning is when you have a battery backup, then when the power dips, the battery transfers power to the system and eveything runs at a constant voltage with little dips in number of cycles per second, that's all. A power conditioner with no battery backup just diverts surges over a stated number of jeules and tranforms them into heat instead of electricity.

The best name is battery backups is www.apc.com
 
Back
Top