Tversity / AC3filter: Streaming an AC3 file to the Playstation 3

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have been spending some time today, trying to get Tversity to stream an AC3 file, that I downloaded for free from Lynnemusic.com, over to my Playstation 3. The PS3 should theoretically be getting a direct stream from this file, and bitstreaming it over to my receiver, which will decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal.

Consider the the following:
  • Tversity 1.08 RC5
  • FFDshow (2007-xx-xx)
  • AC3filter 1.51a
  • AC3filter set to output Dolby Surround/ProLogic (also tried AS IS)
  • AC3filter - unchecked - "Do not encode stereo PCM"
  • AC3filter - checked - AC3: SPDIF passthrough (also tried unchecked)
  • AC3filter - checked - Use SPDIF (also tried unchecked)
  • FFDshow - Disabled - AC3 codec
  • Tversity - Disabled - All transcoding
  • Windows Media Player 11 - Playing the AC3 file invokes AC3filter, as it shows up in the systray. Tversity is not invoking it, as far as I can tell.

Any ideas on what I've got configured wrong?
Has anyone streamed a straight AC3 audio file over to the PS3?

I've read through tons of guides, and tried various configurations, but nothing has worked. The best I've gotten was 2-channel PCM audio, not a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. I've gotten errors such as "Unsupported data" or "The data is corrupted" depending on my configuration.

Some guides I've used:

Here is what VLC says about the audio file:

2008-12-23_1719.png

This basically confirms that the file is a proper AC-3 / A52 / Dolby Digital 5.1 source.

When I play the file back in Media Player Classic, here is what I get from the AC3filter window:

2008-12-23_1728.png

Why would the input format be showing as PCM Stereo 2/0? The input signal should be Dolby Digital 5.1??

I fixed this part of it ... I'll have to try some more tests with Tversity. Any idea why Tversity wouldn't be loading the AC3filter?

2008-12-23_1736.png

Woah .... NICE! I have never heard of that DLNA server before! I'm definitely going to give it a shot! Looks very nice!

Thanks!

(I'd still be interested in feedback on the Tversity issue with AC3filter though) :) :)

That media server is nice, but it didn't solve the issue.

I think the issue is that I'm doing AC3 audio only, without video. From what I'm reading elsewhere, the PS3 seems to want a media container with both video AND audio, and that's not what I'm trying to feed it.

I wonder if anyone has a solution to this issue. I've spent way too much time on it today :(

Here is another link to people discussing issues streaming AC-3 content to a PS3. I did try messing around with it a bit more, and set the Tversity service to run as my administrator account, but that didn't really change my results at all.

Does anyone know if Tversity needs to be set to transcode or not when trying to stream DD 5.1? On one hand, I don't really want Tversity transcoding the content (I just want it to do passthrough), but on the other hand, since AC3filter is a 3rd party program, maybe it needs to be set to transcode in order to use the 3rd party plugin?

Try this

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

I use it and it works really well. It's a work in progress, but so far it's the best damn piece of software I have had to play files from my PC on the PS3.
Thanks! I've been looking for something a bit more simpler than TVersity (though it works well) and for something that would support DVD ISO's.

Streaming 720p x264 works great, and I pointed it to a DVD ISO and it started playing - the audio was out of sync of the video and the subtitle language was French.

However, I found in the settings the the subtitle priority was fre,eng - so I just put eng in - and I got English subtitles.

And I did a quick search on the PS3 Media Server Google Code Forum and the second post was the same symptoms I had - so I tried one of the suggested fixes and the first one worked - all I had to do was uncheck "A/V sync correction".

I can go to bed tonight really happy. I'd pretty much written off streaming applications for the PS3. Thanks for the link!

Your welcome, I am glad that you found it useful. For me it's the best and easiest to watch stuff on your PS3.

PCgeek86, I am sorry that it didn't solve your problem. I can take a look and try to sort it out for you in the next few days. Just been away from the PC over Christmas.

Reaper,

I've been gone for the past week or so, but now that I'm back, I'd still be interested in trying to solve this issue :) Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

Thanks!

sorry went away myself, just back today. should get to this during the week.

Back