tv tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.
waste of space is argue

was about to post opinion on tv cards then read thread . saw how is place for chip on shoulder not share opinion so waste of time
If you're not going to contribute to the thread then either take it to PMs or stop posting.
how sad for thread starter
Yeah it is, your posts (and Susquehannock's) are doing nothing but cluttering up the thread.
 
and your argue and misinformation posts are better how

one poster said to back up with facts so i say follow that

where are the facts proving one card is better than another


facts , give web pages , show facts not opinions since those are required to post here

not my rules , yours
 
and your argue and misinformation posts are better how

one poster said to back up with facts so i say follow that

where are the facts proving one card is better than another


facts , give web pages , show facts not opinions since those are required to post here

not my rules , yours

I think that Crim and I have pointed to several issues that show that even the PVR-150 is better than the PVR-350, but here is the quick rundown.

PVR-150 - newer hardware, better supported, cheaper

Not much more to say on that. The PVR-350 has the one benefit of having a hardware decoder onboard, but as I pointed out that plays second fiddle to any modern video card, even low end ones.

Even if they were identical on recording issues (which I am not sure since I have no experience with the PVR-350), the price difference alone makes the choice pretty clear.

For other cards...

Here is a review from Anandtech
Here is a review of the Powercolor 550 card at htpcnews.com

Here is a review of the DualTV

Both the DualTV and the Saber2020 use the same encoders, so they have pretty much the same quality. The DualTV has some issues when used in a system with an Nforce chipset that also has a PCI-based HDTV tuner. Basically, there is a problem with the PCI bus carring all the information. The Saber2020 doesn't have this issue due to being on the PCI-e bus.

By the way, were are your facts? Where is there a chip on my shoulder? I said I would be more than happy to learn new information. I asked for information backing up your claim of "misconceptions abounding". This could also be your advice or personal knowledge, rather than just facts, but you didn't even supply that.
 
Cutting out all the random arguments, this thread was actually pretty helpful to me... I'm looking at setting up an HTPC (well, the PC part is done), and now I'm looking into tuners... SD or HD.

I've never seen the Saber tuners till this thread.
 
Cutting out all the random arguments, this thread was actually pretty helpful to me... I'm looking at setting up an HTPC (well, the PC part is done), and now I'm looking into tuners... SD or HD.

I've never seen the Saber tuners till this thread.

Glad you got something out of it ;) So, are you wanting to record both SD and HD, or just one or the other?
 
still no facts , opinions and reviews

if one can not provide facts they should not expect others to do so

pvr350 does have decoder yes

how will a low end modern video card be better at decoding signals to t v
 
still no facts , opinions and reviews

if one can not provide facts they should not expect others to do so

pvr350 does have decoder yes

how will a low end modern video card be better at decoding signals to t v
Oh my gods.

Farscape, just leave the little stupid noobs alone, whatever is said to them they're not going to listen and it's not even worth wasting time on them.
 
good idea

any time some body asks a question just ignore them and call a noob

only those who know everything can post here

you can not tell me how a video card will effect image quality play video back to t v

or was question to complex
 
checked reviews and looks like pvr150 gets bad quality brightness from htpcnews.. i do own mce and was intresetd in the tv guide feature. got the pcie sage2020 and pci nvidia dual .
 
Actually, poor image quality (dark and off colors), are common complaints with PVR-150 cards.

Here is a review. Others seem to be about the same.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/tuner-comparo/index.x?pg=10
Quick note about that "review."

They used old, know crappy drivers. The drivers used for the PVR 150 there were known to significantly degrade image quality and they were quickly pulled and, later, replaced with drivers that fixed the issues that were introduced by the crappy drivers.

The drivers were pulled rather early and no-one knows why Tech Report used them in their review but it's been written off more as Tech Report trying not to "rock the boat" in regards to ATI and NV.
 
checked reviews and looks like pvr150 gets bad quality brightness from htpcnews.. i do own mce and was intresetd in the tv guide feature. got the pcie sage2020 and pci nvidia dual .

You got both cards? Lucky you ;)

While I've been very happy with my Hauppauge cards, I look forward to the day that I can upgrade to cards using the VIXS hardware. Probably won't happen anytime soon since the cards are still running strong.
 
I am going to chip in against the 350. Simply because in a modern system it has no advantage over the cheaper 150 card. The 150 has an updated encoder and the decoder is no longer needed in a half decent system.

Now with that said, I have experience with the 150, 250 (same encoder as the 350), Nvidia DualTV, fuson 5 lite, and avermedia 180. The dualTV was the easiest to deal with by far, has the best connection scheme, and can be had with a bundle including the MCE remote which is far superior to the hauppauge remotes.

as far all the arguing, no big deal if one guy likes his 350, but it is silly not to see there might be better options when experienced posters are saying the same thing. My grandfather thinks his Chevy Citation was a great car. Maybe it was, but not anymore.

still no facts , opinions and reviews

if one can not provide facts they should not expect others to do so

pvr350 does have decoder yes

how will a low end modern video card be better at decoding signals to t v

there are no "facts". Image quality is subjective. It is all opinion. One person may like a softer image, one person may be viewing the tuner on a 20" SD tv and the other person may be viewing on a 52" HDTV. they will all have very different experiences. The only "fact" are encoder chip, encoding res, audio bitrate. Those all match for the most part on every TV tuner out there.
 
doesn't seem like a opinion to me! the picture was clearly darker and i thought everyone felt the same on dark captures.. good for going to sleep to but by bad for viewing!
 
Oh my gods.

Farscape, just leave the little stupid noobs alone, whatever is said to them they're not going to listen and it's not even worth wasting time on them.

It's even worse when they are obviously NOT native english speakers.
 
doesn't seem like a opinion to me! the picture was clearly darker and i thought everyone felt the same on dark captures.. good for going to sleep to but by bad for viewing!

If your set is overly bright, like say an inexpensive LCD, you might not mind the darker oicture. or if you are used to the THX standard. It is pretty dark until you get used to it. Also, there are ways to tweak the hauppauge image settings. I have 2 pvr150 and 1 nvidia dualview and can barely tell the difference at the highest setting usually.
 
doesn't seem like a opinion to me! the picture was clearly darker and i thought everyone felt the same on dark captures.. good for going to sleep to but by bad for viewing!

Well, like Crim said they were using drivers that were known to have quality issues. With the correct drivers, you can't really tell that much of a difference.

Honestly, if the PVR-150 or 500 (basically two 150's on the same card) is darker, I can't tell on my 27" Sanyo standard def television ;) Due to testing reasons, I've been recording shows in both standard def and high def and the brightness and colors on both are about the same. Volume is another matter (due to HD using AC3 audio) :(

As I've said before, if you've got the money do what you did and get the DualTV or the Saber2020.
 
Oh my gosh! :eek: Come now, I think you know what the poster meant. This has to be one of the most pedantic & single
minded threads I have seen outside the general topic forums in a while.

People have differing opinions. May as well get used to it. Like 'IDversus' pointed out above. Opinions of image quality
can be very subjective. And quality can differ greatly depending on the equipment used.

Sorry if some of you were offended by my posts. All I did was state my opinion the PVR-350 was a better option.
Then people step up & say that I am a n00b and have no idea what I am talking about. Well fine then. That is perfectly OK with me.

Moreover, to continue to antagonize someone into PMs not once, but a few times, and call their posts "nonsense", "worthless", and "garbage",
is really pushing toward the childish if you ask me. You peeps know who you are. :p

- -
P. S. -Kudos to CrimandEvil for pointing out older drivers were used in the 150 test. That is very significant indeed.
You know, I bet the 150 cards were being sold with the older drivers on disk way after the updates. Retailers with older stock etc ....
Perhaps that is how "Tech Report" came to use the older ones. And why I have seen similar complaints at a couple user review sytes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top