TV Tuner without lag for gaming

jotns

n00b
Well I have a 7800gt I was using as a TV tuner and I used to have a usb avermedia TV tuner, but I never could play console games with them due to the lag. Is there any improvment in using VGA TV tuners?

jotns said:
Well I have a 7800gt I was using as a TV tuner and I used to have a usb avermedia TV tuner, but I never could play console games with them due to the lag. Is there any improvment in using VGA TV tuners?
The problem is the analog to digital conversion. It is a time consuming process. If you pick up an analog tv-vga convertor you'd not have any lag.

It's not the ADC that takes the time, it's the MPEG2 encoder that needs a full buffer to run. Simple software based cards have very little or no perceivable lag. They drain CPU though.

you could take the hauppage 150mce and run the registry hack on it. That is what I did to allow realtime play.

Just recently redid my HTPC box, picked up a ATI TV Wonder Pro for this exact use. S-Video from the game systems to the ATI and displayed with Dscaler. Looks much better then when it ran directly to the projector's crappy deinterlacer.

I recently picked up the ATI TV wonder USB 2.0, for watching TV. I find the TV and the software to run a bit sluggish. Does this have something to do with it being USB? Will a PCI tuner be faster?

System specifications
Amd 2800+xp @ 1.8gh
Asus a7v8x mobo
512 mb ram
Geforce 5600 fx 128mb
40 gig hd (17 gigs free)

Thanks for your help.

Back