TV Tuner Questions

Spanky93

Limp Gawd
This is all completely new to me, and I was just wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me.

First: How exactly does it work? Do I need to just plug in a display source and my cable from my cable provider and it work?

Second: Will I be able to watch all the channels that i can view on my current TV?

Third: I have digital cable, but it doesn't run through a box. Would I be able to use a TV Tuner card?

Thanks,
Spanky93

take all my advice with this caveat...I havent used a TV provider or purchased a new tuner in around 2 years.

1) display comes from the computers video output. Tuners are input only. If you arent using a box, yes, just plug in the cable.
2) if you arent using a box or cable card, yes, you should.
3) you should. if you arent using a box or cable card that means it is not encrypted. you should be ok.

This is all completely new to me, and I was just wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me.

First: How exactly does it work? Do I need to just plug in a display source and my cable from my cable provider and it work?

Second: Will I be able to watch all the channels that i can view on my current TV?

Third: I have digital cable, but it doesn't run through a box. Would I be able to use a TV Tuner card?

Thanks,
Spanky93

1. You either connect a rabbit ears or the line from your cable provider
2. No. If you have HD channels or Pay Per view most TV Tuners will not show those channels as they are encrypted. You normally only get the un-encrypted channels from most providers (I believe satelitte TV is an exception here). With both my Comcast and Uverse I didnt get anything other than the basic channels in Standard Definition. I did get a couple stations in HD (CBS, NBC, Fox) as those are required by law to be unencrpyted I believe.
3. See #2.

I would honestly recommend heading over to AVSFORUM as they have a lot of helpful info on this subject.

dont you need a box to get HBO and premuim channels from the major providers now?

Thanks for the help so far, but as far as your comment EndersShadow about "only basic channels in standard definition...", does this mean only the 3 or 4 basic channels you get without cable? Or, does it mean that I will get all the channels that are in standard definition that I currently have on my normal TV?

What if my cable is Digital, not analog? I DO NOT have to use a box to get the cable.

I have not dealt with digital channels that do not require a box so if thats the case, I cant help you, sorry. I do know that I had digital cable package with comcast and the lower channels were still not digital. the box was only needed for the upper channels that were actually digital. one of many reasons I hated comcast.

Back