TV Tuner card question time

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm about ready to get rid of my old 32" TV and go strictly to watching everything on my 24" monitor. I have one of the Motorola digital boxes that I understand will have to be connected feeding into whatever TV tuner card I get.

I don't really care about recording, I just want to watch TV on the monitor.

I have read that Hauppauge cards have big problems with Vista and 4+ gigs of ram (of which I was running, now Win7 beta with 4 gigs). Is there anyone in the same sort of situation, or can recommend a good tuner card that will work? As well, I would have to use my motorolla remote to change the channels which is no problem, but how does this affect what channels would be displayed on the TV software or media center, etc?

Thanks for any help.

if your monitor has the proper inputs - the easiest way is to hook directly into the monitor from the cable box.

Some of the dells have component video input, which is probably what id use. Alternately if the cable box has hdmi you could get a hdmi->dvi cable and use that.

Youd then hook audio into your speakers/soundcard.

I have read that Hauppauge cards have big problems with Vista and 4+ gigs of ram (of which I was running, now Win7 beta with 4 gigs). Is there anyone in the same sort of situation, or can recommend a good tuner card that will work?
My Hauppauge HVR-1600 works fine in my system with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit Vista. They had a beta driver for systems with 4+ GB of RAM but I think the issue was fixed a long time ago.

As well, I would have to use my motorolla remote to change the channels which is no problem, but how does this affect what channels would be displayed on the TV software or media center, etc?
You need a tuner with an IR blaster. Its a little IR device that you plug into the tuner and stick the other end near the IR sensor on the box. That way everything is controlled in media center and it can automatically change the channel to record stuff.

If recording isn't a big deal then plugging the cable box directly into the monitor would be the best solution.

I had nothing but problems with the 1600 and I returned it within two days thanks to the 4gig adress problem. I am really kind of puzzled as to why this market is as shit as it is, and now I am hesitant to try a second time with a haup 2250 or an ati 650.

Vista 64
Win7 64

You would think companies would get on the train..

Back