tv resolution vs.computer resolution?

D14JEFF

Limp Gawd
i see a few different lines of resolution rating for tv/video products,some examples are.....
vcr 270 lines
svhs 400 lines
broadcast tv 330 lines
dv camcorders and dvd 530 lines
how would these equate to computer resolition ratings such as 800x600 ,1024x768 ,1280x1024 or 1600x1200?
i typically run my monitor at 1280x1024 if that makes any difference.im asking because i want to get a tv tuner card and id like to get a sharp enough pic to justify burning programs to dvd(no law against copying hbo).thanks

I think that it would be watchable (of course depending on the quality of the recording) but you might notice the slightly lower quality when there's some smallish text on screen which tends to blur out a bit. You also need to consider that if you run your monitor at 1280 x 1040 and attempt to play a lower resolution recording (tv's have relatively low resolutions) the quality isn't going to look as good on your computer as if it were being played on the TV. Also we can't really say how sharp is sharp enough because that's purely a matter of opinion, but from my experience the quality difference is noticeable, but the shows are definitely watchable.

To fix the lower quality video/ high res thing I'd use ffdshow (windows) for it, best damn thing for video playback. Myth TV has the option to use filters much like it too.

D14JEFF said:
i see a few different lines of resolution rating for tv/video products,some examples are.....
vcr 270 lines
svhs 400 lines
broadcast tv 330 lines
dv camcorders and dvd 530 lines
how would these equate to computer resolition ratings such as 800x600 ,1024x768 ,1280x1024 or 1600x1200?
i typically run my monitor at 1280x1024 if that makes any difference.im asking because i want to get a tv tuner card and id like to get a sharp enough pic to justify burning programs to dvd(no law against copying hbo).thanks

When TV resolution is given in "lines", they are referring to the number of vertical lines. For example, 800x600 has 600 vertical lines. If a device is said to have "480 lines" of resolution and it is a normal 4:3 dimensioned screen, you can reasonably assume that a matching resolution would be 640x480. btw, DVD is generally 720x480 (widescreen). Your TV recording software will likely have a few DVD compliant settings (different bitrates, same resolution) to make things easier if you plan on burning them. Even at that resolution, you are upconverting from a lower quality source, so going beyond that is rather pointless (as mentioned, just use some filters to clean it up if needed).

It depends on a lot of things. But, in general, you shouldn't notice any real difference between a DVD you make and a DVD you can buy, other than the standard TV reception noise/snow.

The general rule of thumb is to capture at as high a res as possible, and then resize to the closest DVD-compatible resolution (if you're making a true DVD). Standard TV's can't display full DVD resolution anyways.

Mine rocks out at 1920x1080 in 1080i timing on my Mitsubishi bigscreens, looks amazing to see computer games run on a 55" HDTV. I need to get an X800 or 6800U or something faster than my 5900U so I can play every game at a high resolution on this thing. If you have an nvidia card it is sweet, you can add custom res/refresh rates to make it work with a TV. Oh, and it does DVD upsampling to 1080i, that looks pretty amazing as well.

Back