tv on my monitor

andrewt328

n00b
can i get tv on my lcd pc monitor without it going through the computer? because monitors are much cheaper than tvs. i have cable television.

thanks

what inputs does your monitor have? if you have composite/component/svideo it should be no problem. dvi/vga will require adapters and such.

can i get tv on my lcd pc monitor without it going through the computer? because monitors are much cheaper than tvs. i have cable television.

thanks

First thing first. What brand and model is the LCD? Do you just have basic cable or do you have a converter box.

First thing that popped in my head was, get a digital HDTV Tuner with HDMI output. Your cable provider probably has that option.

If you don’t already have a tuner / cable set top box, then you need something like this. You cannot connect the coaxial cable from your wall to a LCD monitor using a simple adapter; you need a TV tuner.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
is there anything cheaper??? if its that much i then it would be the same as getting a tv, and that would counteract my point of saving money by buying a monitor.

thanks

What's wrong with going through the computer? Vista media center is great in terms of usability.

What's wrong with going through the computer? Vista media center is great in terms of usability.

I agree; I have tried it both ways and having a TV tuner that feeds the comp. is a much better solution, because you can have the tv running in a window. Then you can do other things and watch TV too. My display does PIP, but you cannot move it arround or minimize it.

I use this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815315001 which is expensive, but worth it, because it works like it should.

Best of luck Dave

I use a Slingbox, so I can watch my tv from any computer and without the wires. I don't know how it compares with a straight wire, but chances are straight wire is always better. But can't beat the convenience of the device though.

Call your cable provider and get some prices on the HD box. You can get either the HD or HD DVR. You're going to be using the VGA for your PC so the HDMI would go to the HD source.

I myself have a Comcast DVR connected to my Samsung monitor via HDMI. Looks great. Plays at 1080i.

If you want over the air HD and not pay for HD services then that's different. I think that a sling box still needs a HD box as the source. Don't know how that works. Unless there are other ways of getting HDTV for free or something, then call the provider.

Then you can have your remote.

I was thinking about this too, but I didn't get too far with the idea as I didn't have much luck finding a digital tuner with an HDMI out.

Back