TV/Computer 2.1: Looking for advice

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
6,419
So, going to be moving to an apt. Going to be rocking a new TV, as well as Computer hardware. Old machine will hook up to TV/Receiver. Of course, DVD/Xbox/Zune will be on receiver as well.

Looking for two decent book shelf speakers, a receiver and a sub.
Total Budget: 500

Not looking for super huge loud, mega bass, surround: Apt will keep to these restrictions.


I was just about to screw it all, go by Best Buy, and snag the cheapest Sony of everything. Figuring Sony is a large company, their cheap stuff should suffice... Then I read the Show us your Speaker thread. That thread made me cry :(
 
Personally I don't like Sony at all.....You pay more and get less (Kinda like buying a Harley over a Honda ;) )

I'm a huge fan of Onkyo, i'm on my 2nd receiver in 12 years, my 1st died only 2 days after my 5 year warranty expired and it was because of my cat.

If you're spending $500 bones, this could be a perfect option for you.

Onkyo Link
 
Oh snap. That looks like great value. Hopefully it sounds like great value as well :)


Thank you for the tip. Any ideas for a simple 2.1. Should I just snag some Onkyo book shelf speakers, receiver and sub?
 
Is that Onkyo going to be a better value than the refurb setups at shoponkyo?

@ The OP: The sub is what kills you. Doing 2.0 is easy, but the sub alone is going to be from $150-250 for something that doesn't suck. At your price point an HTIB is almost not a bad idea. Otherwise, av123 still has those ridiculously cheap b-stock X-series (discounted shipping on those too!). Maybe you need a sub with them, maybe not, the ported variety do reach down well. For a receiver... whatever is cheap and does the trick as long as it's not $99.
 
I'd buy 2 of the AV123 X-CS from the b-stock, a used integrated amplifier from rotel or NAD or something and then I guess something like the dayton 10" sub. I think there's a possibility you could call it a day with dual X-CSs, though, and not buy a sub.
 
Back
Top