TV as main (only) video output?

djnes

Fully [H]
I have a Shuttle PC with a Radeon 9000 AIW. I am using the video dongle, with the RCA cable connected to my Toshiba TV. What resolutions, settings, etc should I be using to be able to boot and use my TV as the only display? Nothing I try seems to work.

Awesome link....I will have to try it. I've been using it with a 15" LCD sitting on the floor, but it's nice to know how to fix this problem before I encounter it later. Thanks!

Originally posted by anotherguy159
If you are planning on using the TV to read text, try again. If it's a HTPC, then disregard.
well, it's POSSIBLE....

If the TV is huge, and the text is 20 point bold, and there isn't much of it, and it's an HDTV

If you are planning on using the TV to read text, try again. If it's a HTPC, then disregard.
Well I'm hooked up to a 27" tv right now because I've been recording some twilight zone episodes. At 640x480 I can read text just fine but at that resolution it sucks ass for doing anything other than watching tv.

Read that text for an hour or so and tell me you don't have a headache :)
I always thought the headaches were slashdot-induced, but the tv thing sounds good too. :) It does kinda drive me crazy trying to read and do stuff on the tv, but I'm just too lazy to keep moving it up to my room and then back down to the basement to hook up to the cable.

I can boot up with only S-video into a TV, i do it all the time and can see all the post screens/bios, and all the boot up screens. I've done it with an ATI Radon 8500 and an ATI Radeon 7000. I just set everythign up at 800x600 with the monitor AND the s-video plugged in and working, then next boot up i remove the VGA cord before i start it.

Oh yeah I kinda never responded to the original post. I boot up with just svideo on a radeon 8500(actually an 8500le) just like sb22. I don't know how the aiws work with the dongles and stuff, but on my 8500 you have to have the svideo plugged in and the tv on when you turn on the computer or it won't recognize anything is plugged in and it won't initialize the svideo port. I can see the bios and everything on the tv.

I had mine going to my 25" Sanyo and it was fine for everything except reading.
It played games like a champ, but I could not read in game chat ot use the desktop very well.

So, if you are gonna use it for any type of reading, you are kinda out of luck unless youget a high def.

Originally posted by jpmkm
Oh yeah I kinda never responded to the original post. I boot up with just svideo on a radeon 8500(actually an 8500le) just like sb22. I don't know how the aiws work with the dongles and stuff, but on my 8500 you have to have the svideo plugged in and the tv on when you turn on the computer or it won't recognize anything is plugged in and it won't initialize the svideo port. I can see the bios and everything on the tv.

That's exactly what I wanted. I don't plan on using the TV much, as I'll be connecting to the server by Remote Desktop Connection. I just wanted to hide the machine by my TV and if I ever needed to do anything quick on it, I could use the TV. I'm pulling the AIW and trying my old 8500 then. Thanks!

Originally posted by djnes
I'm pulling the AIW and trying my old 8500 then. Thanks!

AHH!! "old 8500," lol, i'm still using mine in my primary machine! heh. I bought this thing too when it was the shit of video cards, 8500 64MB DDR, not much better for it's time period :D It's done me well for the year's i've had it, plays all the games i need it to:) I keep telling myself i need to upgrade....but manage to keep putting it off

Originally posted by SB22
AHH!! "old 8500," lol, i'm still using mine in my primary machine! heh. I bought this thing too when it was the shit of video cards, 8500 64MB DDR, not much better for it's time period :D It's done me well for the year's i've had it, plays all the games i need it to:) I keep telling myself i need to upgrade....but manage to keep putting it off
I've got an 8500 in my #1 box too...but I think I'm finally breaking down and getting a 9800. We'll see.

Back