“Turok: Dinosaur Hunter” Source Code Discovered

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Remember Iguana Entertainment? This guy managed to get a hold of their old SGI Indy workstations, where he found the code for the original Turok game. Maybe I will finally fire up the PC port on Steam tonight.

Aaron, who collects and tinkers with old computers as a hobby, said he first spotted this SGI Indy at a warehouse where he was picking up a 24-bit video board for an SGI Indy from another seller. While there, he saw a whole stack of SGI Indys there along with boxes of obsolete 3D animation software. He made note of it, and last summer went back to buy the stack of SGI Indys and software. As he started going through the files, it became clear that the SGI Indys came from a liquidation auction for Turok publisher Acclaim, which went out of business in 2004. Acclaim should have wiped those drives before the sale exactly for this reason, but for whatever reason, didn't.

Never played the game. However, it's always good to find a bit of history, especially a bit of history that isn't supposed to exist.

I could swear I read this story a few months ago already Now I'm Consfused. Is this just deja vu?

Just purchased the PC port on Steam for 4.99. Its as awesome as I remember it to be. They also have some good texture mods for it in the workshop.

No, just a glitch in the Matrix.
Actually I'm sure of it, there was even a discussion about the copyright issue, if someone sells you willingly a computer full of data, can you legally look at that data and use it like this?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I...AM...TUROK! This game was the Doom/Quake of N64. It was very atmospheric, smooth and fun to tag enemies with arrows in different places to see the different animations. Stupid monkeys. The same guys who ported this to PC are working on porting the very notable sequel. Edit: I just watched the video and I am sure Nightdive Studios will be contacting them. They will be interested in the audio resources as they might be of higher quality (though N64 was pretty damn good) as well as other potential goodies.

Last edited:
Just purchased the PC port on Steam for 4.99. Its as awesome as I remember it to be. They also have some good texture mods for it in the workshop.

How did you get it for $4.99? Steam is selling it right now for $19.99.

Actually I'm sure of it, there was even a discussion about the copyright issue, if someone sells you willingly a computer full of data, can you legally look at that data and use it like this?

Are you sure it was Turok N64 though? There was news a few weeks ago about someone finding something on a used dev-kit console (ps3?)

Turok 1 was awesome, but Turok 2 was amazing. Im pretty sure Turok 2 used motion captured animations, and the soundtrack was one of the highest quality on the N64.

Reactions: blkt
like this
The few servers I have bough always come without drives (likely from a datacenter, not exactly the same type of system as an SGI Indy). That would be awesome to find something like Turok.

I only played the PC version, but the one thing I remember about Turok was huge discussion/complaints about how the fog in the game was so close by to the player so there weren't too many objects drawn at once in order to keep the frame rate up.

I only played the PC version, but the one thing I remember about Turok was huge discussion/complaints about how the fog in the game was so close by to the player so there weren't too many objects drawn at once in order to keep the frame rate up.

This worked twofold. It kept the framerates up AND allowed for atmosphere. If was a hell of a game.

i bought it too for 4.99. just as good as i remember. i also like how they speeded it up. i don't care for all the bobble head movement though. i turned that off.

i know my memory is a bit foggy from that time, might have been smoking a little too much, but i swear the levels aren't the same as the original. i of course could be wrong. i need to work on my jumping skillz...

I got a copy of that game in the box with my Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo Rush way back when. Many hours of fun were had.

i bought it too for 4.99. just as good as i remember. i also like how they speeded it up. i don't care for all the bobble head movement though. i turned that off.

i know my memory is a bit foggy from that time, might have been smoking a little too much, but i swear the levels aren't the same as the original. i of course could be wrong. i need to work on my jumping skillz...

Not enough fog, but the level seemed normal to me. It has been over 15 years since I played, though.

I thought it was the coolest thing being able to shoot the legs of the dinosaurs and watching them trip. lol

Reactions: blkt
like this
Omg I forgot about the neck head shots. There were a lot of cool spots to explore in that game. Also the spinning blade boomerang and cerebral bore were way too powerful in Turok 2.

Why would people purposfully destroy this stuff. It would be like if my snowblower manufacturing business went out of business and someone was sent out and destroyed all the snow blowers. Or at least if all the engineering and manufacturing data was destroyed. As someone who works in manufacturing destruction of engineering data or manufacturing information makes me cry a little inside every time it happens.
Thank goodness someone found this gem!

Which would put it slightly below Alien vs Predator of Atari Jaguar in terms of "why should I buy this console?"
AvP for Jaguar is a pretty low bar. Have you played the first two in the Turok series? Yeah, it was very much a first generation title. It was first FPS out the door and suffered from limited cartridge capacity, but you could tell there was talent behind the game. They pulled out all the stops.

I remember spending hours downloading tiny quicktime trailers of this game from N64.com before they became IGN, and then the glorious day came when I was able to rent it or something at long last. Man what a good game, loved those last 2 super high powered weapons that were like shooting nukes.

i noticed in a follow up video he says he' snot releasing it but he'll "sell" them and whatever happens, happens.

Sounds like he is pretty smart. Covering his ass plus also going to make bank on it because now it'll go to an auction with lots of interest and he'll make big coin on it for the simple fact of whats on the drive/s.

I noticed in the YT comments that no one is smart enough to pick up on this. All children or just dumb? Hmm

Played it back in the day , was fun but draw distance was horrible.

It's the current copypaste news media. I've seen news that are 2 years old posted as 'news'.

No credibility or source checks, in worst case direct copypaste from SOCIAL MEDIA for fucks sakes.

It's the current copypaste news media. I've seen news that are 2 years old posted as 'news'.

No credibility or source checks, in worst case direct copypaste from SOCIAL MEDIA for fucks sakes.
I recently seen someone from one of the "liberal" media outlets outright state that it's not their job to fact check news, they just report everything* people talk about and let the readers sort it out. What's the point of having them then? With social media everyone sees every story that gets momentum anyway.

*of course everything to them means everything that fits in their echo chamber.

If you read the article the news was really that the guy that originally found the source code posted a video on Janurary 15th, or yesterday, indicating that he will be putting the SGI machines (and source code) up for sale on eBay. So yes, this was a bit of old news (to refresh people or inform people that didn't know) mixed in with the new news of him putting the source code for sale.

But the problem you describe is prevalent with 'internet journalists'. Much like the news "from a couple of months ago" that the father of the C programming language had died.

Last edited:

Turok plus 3DFX Glide changed my life

I wonder what he paid for all of those old SGI systems. Stupidly expensive back in the day, now probably $10 a box.

is it easier to play on a PC with mouse/keyboard vs the damn N64 controller?

I could swear I read this story a few months ago already Now I'm Consfused. Is this just deja vu?

There was another story just like this a while back. I don't think it was this game, but another.

Back