• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turns out I may have a problem

Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
27
Hello all, I'm going to attempt to summarize which usually means I will draw this explanation out. It's summer and my OC'd Phenom IIx4 965 @ 4.0 Ghz is warming up my room. In my infinite wisdom I got a 8370e due to the balance between speed heat and was only $120 which works out as 3D animation rendering was also in this systems near future so the additional cores would be beneficial. First threw it in and ran some stress tests at stock and loved the low temps. Then I got the itch. Now I've been able to up my RAM speeds OC the chip to 4.4 Ghz at 1.2125 V and enabled ALL power management settings on the board short testing stable at lower temps then before. My problem lies in that after watching CPU-Z I'm not seeing the processor scale down speeds with no load and see the speed reduced only when stress testing with Aida64 which is the complete opposite of when I want it to. If you could give me some insight of what I might be missing that is preventing low load throttling and can stop the thermal throttling @ 57* C I would appreciate it.
 
Last edited:
I think the power management settings were pretending to be enabled, but didn't actually operate.
What worries me is the throttle. Can you keep lowering the clockspeed bit by bit to find out if it ever stops?
Sadly I only had a problem like this with Intel. The CPU was just slightly oced, temps were fine but it still liked to throttle every now and then. After like six months I disassembled the system for cleaning and saw that the PCB under the mosfets was brownish and warped... I guess it was trying to tell me something after all :D
 
Eesh that's no good, I'll try shutting down the CnQ and C1E settings after this game. I have an Asus Sabertooth which has temp sensor's everywhere including my Mos so I'm less worried about those just the weird multiplier adjustments.
 
So ran some adjustments and some settings, apparently it's not throttling just an error with the speed detection in Aida64. Will do some more tuning I'm more curious how I can get it to throttle down outside of load if that is possible.
 
Make sure under Windows in the selected power plan you are using and go to advanced then processor power management and check and make sure your minimum processor state isn't at 100. It should be at like 10% so it throttles down (bios settings have to be enabled as well, for things like c-states enabled.

I noticed when I installed Samsung magician and had it optimize my system, it turned my minimum state to 100 so it never throttled down during idle.

hopefully that helps
 
Samsung Magician as well, re-enabled the settings and BIOS and minimum processor state is 100%. Strange that Samsung would modify this. Either way on boot it down clocked to 1.4 Ghz and is staying pinned at 4.4 Ghz while under load (stress testing for the last 10 minutes as I write this). Thank you so much.
 
Back
Top