Turnkey Linux - LAMP

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
***WARNING***
I am very new to Linux!

I have just installed TKL - LAMP as a VM on my Hyper-V server. I have it working, and am able to ping the VM from clients on the network. Which is good, and I believe it is set up correctly.

Basically though, how to I upload content to the server to have it actually start serving as a webpage? And furthermore how to I configure the MySQL database to interact with the webserver? Anyone have any experience with this?

I really like how little the install is, and would really like to get to know it, so that I can use this as a dev/ test server.

Wikipedia says Hyper-V has only limited support for Linux and as such, I would presume that you'll run into odd issues here and there. This will make your life unnecessarily [h]ard. :)

It seems to me that all you want is to get a start learning Apache and MySQL and maybe PHP.
In that case I'll refer you to apachefriends.org where you can download all the above in a nice single installer or zip that runs out of a single directory so you can have it on a thumb drive or on a server or workstation and turn it on and off as needed. You can configure it during the install to run on non-standard ports so it doesn't interfere with any production services.

It includes phpmyadmin for graphically managing MySQL.

Once you have your apachefriends up you can watch a video here to install drupal which is built in php and requires a database (MySQL). http://drupal.org/videocasts/installing-6

Then for extra fun, install firebug and yslow in your firefox and start checking apache hosted sites and learn how to tune apache and your content for peak performance.

stick with it.

I've never used turnkey, but according to the website:

# PHPMyAdmin administration frontend for MySQL (listening on port 12322 - uses SSL).

So just fire up a web browser and hit http://123.123.123.123:12322/ port 12321 apparently runs Webmin for managing users and so on. For copying files you should use SCP, there are several GUIs available, either WinSCP or FileZilla can do it. I'm not sure how Turnkey sets up Apache directories, you'll probably have to look in the Webmin Apache setup to determine where the files actually go.

I knew it was more difficult than it should of been, esp for what Turnkey Linux is saying should pretty much be install and its set up. The mirror I downloaded the iso image from was pointing to the wrong Turnkey image. Once I downloaded the correct image, reinstalled as a VM everything is up and working very well.

Now I just need to figure out how to setup the webserver's default directory as a share drive so I can easily read/write/and delete files as this will be a dev server. This seems to be a fairly easy task, and am sure I can figure it out.

I think this Turnkey solution is really great, esp considering the footprint... or lack thereof. Running in Hyper-V without the Linux Hyper-V integration services does not cause any adverse issues. I use Legacy network drivers, which are supposed to be slower, however for a web server on the intranet it seems to be plenty fast.

I gave the VM 10gb HDD space, and 512mb RAM, I could easily lower both (probably by half and still stay reasonable), however since there is no competition for resources right now on the overall server I am going to keep that as is.

Back