• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turning a normal case side into a door!

l008com

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
374
Inside-ripping-tower.jpg


This is a CD ripping tower I use to rip CDs (as a service that I charge for). Its actually a "DVD Duplicator Case" that I use without the duplicator module, just drives I can read from.
ANYHOO it has side panels that slide on and off in a kind of annoying way, and then you have to screw them on to secure them. But I often need to open this thing up for one reason or another.

So it got me thinking how it would be cool fi I could turn one side (the side thats missing in the picture) into a door instead of a pain-to-install side!
Structurally, I think the case can easily maintain its strength without the extra support it gets from one side being on.

I actually have some experience doing case mods, although not for many years. My first thought was to drill holes and use a rivet gun to simply rivet the hinges to the case, and the door to the hinges. Then maybe some kind of magnet to keep it closed. And also possibly a handle so it would be easy to open. But with rivets, plus the hinges, it would end up being WAY too thick. The door would be like 3/8 of an inch off the actual case. I don't think that would work.

So, any other ideas how I might make this happen? Its not a huge pressing need. But it would be handy if I could do it.
 
You'll probably want a latch of some kind, and then some pins/hooks to securely hold the panel on the opposite side. Dunno if that's something an individual can just order, but someone makes them, because they are used in cases and (for instance) electrical panels.

You may have to cut/punch the hooks into the case or panel yourself if you want it to be at all subtle.

I don't have any panel modding experience, just ideas, so I can't really help much with the process itself.
 
Then maybe some kind of magnet to keep it closed.
I like using magnets to hold things, so if I was doing this I would probably forget about hinges.
  1. Remove the metal fingers from all the edges of the side panel except the bottom edge.
  2. Add magnets around the edges where the removed fingers were. They could be attached to either the panel or the case, whichever works best.
  3. Add a handle at the top of the panel so it can be pulled of easily.
 
Back
Top