turned computer on - flash now hdd wont work

AY786

Limp Gawd
basically turned computer on and there was a flash and now the hdd wont work, any suggestions

Flash on the screen? Flash shooting out of your hard drive? Is the computer powering up at all? Need a little more detail about what happened and what your computer is and isn't doing before anyone can offer suggestions on a fix. "Doesn't work" covers a whole lot of stuff.

Time to buy a new drive .......... :p

Take the drive out of the case and check the board for blown chips.
Also check the wireing for a short to the case, etc, etc.

If your very very lucky then its just a wireing short and the drive will work when plugged into a different connector.
If not then its a lot harder & costly to recover any data off that drive.

Luck .............. :D

well i was installing my coolermaster musketeer and i didnt think i connected the power cable for the hdd correctly and when i first switched the computer on, a flash light from the hdd (or motherboard) flashed and didnt boot. I then switched the molex connections and the computer booted but the bios cannot detect my hdd. I have tried taking the connections out and everything but still nothing, please help

If you had the molex to your HDD connected incorrectly when you powered up, chances are the PCB on your drive is fried and you now have a paperweight.

Back