Turn on Godmode in Windows 7

Buxaroo

Gawd
Are you like me where you hate going through Control Panel and through menus/trees just to get to something simple? Prefer lists instead of navigating all over the place just to get to one small setting? Well I just found a great little trick to remedy that. Found this via dailyrotation:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/god-mode-in-windows-7/

This is a must have for me. Also apologies if this has been posted or was well known before, but this is the first time I have seen it and wanted to share :D

This is a neat feature.

It had to been posted somewhere around here. I have had it since January.

Almost any of those features or functionality can be accessed by pressing Start and typing a few letters as well. Like the "Change Customer Experience" one, I just hit Start and type cust and there is it, 5th on the list. I do so much Start+a few letters nowadays it's second nature, it always works faster for me to find stuff than digging into windows and icons for it.

But, it's always nice to have multiple methods of doing the same tasks...

Are you like me where you hate going through Control Panel and through menus/trees just to get to something simple?

searchu.png

Are you like me where you hate going through Control Panel and through menus/trees just to get to something simple?

It's not really godmode, it's just one big control panel. I don't understand how it's any easier to find something.

I personally like lists and the ability to scroll through them looking for what I want sometimes, I don't commit all of the various commands to memory and sometimes I don't know the exact thing I am looking for until I see it in a list. The only gripe I have about Windows 7 is the control panel puts the various things in pre-configured categories which I don't like. Or there aren't enough options available when you put it in icon mode either. Either way, not intuitive to me or how I think, nor is it easy to find stuff when I am not 100% sure what I am looking for :)

It's not really godmode, it's just one big control panel. I don't understand how it's any easier to find something.

Yeah I kept re-reading that link to figure how it qualifies as "God Mode". It's just a huge, even more confusing Control Panel.

As for the Control Panel search, it's even simpler just hitting the Start button as I explained, no requirement to open another window of any kind at all, just that Start button + a few letters and you're all set. Realistically there's no reason to even click the mouse at all, as pretty much every keyboard in the past 10 years has a Windows or "Start" key on the keyboard. I hit that with my left thumb and type a few letters so fast nowadays it's not even funny, and way way faster than even thinking about opening the flyout menus and starting that arduous clickclickclick thing. ;)

Anyone know why this messes up vista? I had a friend do this on his vista system and it hosed it hard about 4 months ago.

cool, thanks for the tip. But yea, there's a lot of options, probably gonna sift through them and see whats good.

Back