• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turn off Facebook Location Tracking in Android?

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,798
So the wife has a Facebook and uses the app on her Samsung Infuse 4G. She tells me that when she posts some status update that her current location is posted as well. This seems so odd/stupid to me, but whatever....this thread isn't about the reasons why I don't have a Facebook.

So after messing around in her account/privacy settings, I cannot find where to disable this tracking. It seems like turning off the GPS from the phone works, but I'm looking for a solution within the Facebook app or via the browser to fix this. Any ideas?

Google is pulling up some articles from 2010 that are outdated and irrelevant to the new layout and settings options that have been implemented.
 
I'll check something later today on my phone. I don't recall having that issue (think it's turned off via Privacy Settings), but it was a recent update to the FB app that made the location mandatory. Disabling the location piece via CM7 causes a constant Force Close.
 
The latest FB app for Android does not auto list my location when making a post. So there must be a security settings your wife has in FB itself that's allowing her to be geo-tagged when posting.
 
Yeah it's the weirdest thing. For shits and giggles I downloaded the app on my phone (iPhone 3gs) and posted from her account, strangely enough it doesn't post the location. So I'm almost positive it is a phone or app setting. I read online that if you root the android device you can grant/disallow permissions to or from apps; she doesn't really need that kind of power and it would probably only get her into more trouble.
 
Does it to me too, I can't find in the app where to shut it off. It's only been a recent edition to the android app that I can tell.
 
Has anyone figured this out yet? My Droid Charge posts my location with my status updates, but my friend's Charge doesn't. I have searched both settings on the phones and can't find any differences.
 
Depends on which phone and ROM you have running. I know if you have Cyanogenmod you can disable specific permissions for each app. You can go into Facebook and prevent it from accessing GPS data.
 
Back
Top