• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turn HDDs off?

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
6,677
I read somewhere that desktop HDDs are rated for significantly less spin-ups and spin-downs than notebook hard drives, and thus they should not be turned off when idle. Is this true?
 
Sorry to necro this thread, but it is my thread, I just forgot about it. Sorry.

Anyway, so that means I'm better off leaving my hard drives run 24/7 than having them turn off after an hour or so? I guess the question is, which behavior is likely to kill my drive faster?
 
LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Sorry to necro this thread, but it is my thread, I just forgot about it. Sorry.

Anyway, so that means I'm better off leaving my hard drives run 24/7 than having them turn off after an hour or so? I guess the question is, which behavior is likely to kill my drive faster?

I think it depends - certain drives are rated different ways. The enterprise drives are typically rated 24/7, and there have been some drives in the past that were not made to be run more than 8/7 (Deathstars). I run pretty much all of my stuff 24/7, so I don't have a lot of experience with those problems. You are probably better off having backups/using raid/getting a good warranty so you don't even have to worry about the issue.
 
I think hot-swap bays could be abused/used to turn "off" HDDs when not in use...maybe.

Most modern drives shouldn't have trouble running 24/7 when well ventilated, mounted, and cared for. (When I say I run my drives 24/7, I mean that my storage drives spend around 16 hours a day sleeping spun-down quietly). Still gotta make sure you backup though.
 
edited for clarity:

I would think that reliability (R) is a function of both number-of-starts (s), on-time (o) and drive age (a).

R(s,o,a) = x, x < 1

I am fairly certain that it is a non-decreasing function in each of them:

R(s+ds,o,a) <= R(s,o,a), where ds >= 0

Now all we need is to find max(R(s,o,a))|a=your expected drive age when it gets replaced.
 
Back
Top