• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turn based strategy games

spugnor

[H]F Junkie
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
11,220
Bleah. Saw a game recently called "Hearts of Iron 3", and i thought "wow, a deep WW2 strategy game! Sweet!" But nowhere on the box did it say either turn based or RTS. Well, after digging around a while, it is an RTS.

Good grief! Where are the turn based strategy games?!? I am firmly of the belief that something as complex as WW2 cannot be adequately played in RT format. There is simply too much that needs doing and watching and considering.

So, anybody have any good turn based strategy games?
 
The Battle of Wesnoth. It is a free, open source turn based strategy game. If you don't mind somewhat rudimentary graphics, I think you will enjoy it immensely. There are literally thousands of player created campaigns and tons of units. It is one of my favorite netbook games. Did I forget to mention it has multiplayer too? Hot-seat and online! Windows, Mac, and Linux!

www.wesnoth.org
 
Last edited:
Seriously, if you want some depth in a WWII game you should give HoI3 a hard look. Yes, it is not turn based but you can slow it down to a crawl or even pause while you manage things.
 
Here's a list of some of them that have come from the past until now:

Empire Total War
Medieval Total War
Rome Toral War
Shogun Total War
Fantasy Wars
Age of Wonders
Age of Wonders 2
Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic
Heroes of Might Magic games
Galactic Civilizations

Older games:
Walords 3: Darklords Rising
Warlords 3: Reign of Heroes
Master of Orion
Master of Orion 2
Fallen Haven
Master of Magic
X-Com UFO Defense

Most of these you can find very cheap on the net.
 
The Battle of Wesnoth. It is a free, open source turn based strategy game. If you don't mind somewhat rudimentary graphics, I think you will enjoy it immensely. There are literally thousands of player created campaigns and tons of units. It is one of my favorite netbook games. Did I forget to mention it has multiplayer too? Hot-seat and online! Windows, Mac, and Linux!

www.wesnoth.org

I think I will try, sounds fun!

My buddy and I were playing Hotseat HOMM3 over the weekend, it was fun to play again. Somehow the newer HOMMs just weren't up to par IMO

Gal Civ 2 is pretty good but almost a little too detailed. Even after a couple of dozen hours play I still felt like I only kinda new what I was doing.
 
Civilization 4 with the Beyond the sword expansion pack..i believe they have a gold edition that has both now....will keep you busy for years...the best TURN based game out over the last few years...period.
 
Oh, I also hear that Sins of a Solar Empire is great, though I believe it combines tactical combat and turn-based strategy gameplay.
 
I know it isn't necessarily a strategy game, but I would shoot missiles at an orphanage for a new Jagged Alliance game with the destructable environments from Silent Storm.
 
Sword of the Stars is another turn-based strategy game. It's a lot less focused on micromanagement than GalCiv2 and much more on fleet battles. However, battles (if you choose to manually command them) are done in real-time.
 
Chess.:D


Seriously though, Give Final Fantasy Tactics a try, it is a great game.
 
Civilization 4 with the Beyond the sword expansion pack..i believe they have a gold edition that has both now....will keep you busy for years...the best TURN based game out over the last few years...period.

Whenever I see anything about Civ4, I like to plug my all time favorite Mod, Rise of Mankind.
Features and Download Link
Main Forum
Adds literally hundreds of new technologies buildings, wonders, and units, it really fleshes out the game. It's the ONLY way I play Civ4 anymore. The mod is still be constantly added to and updated by its original creator as well.
 
Good grief! Where are the turn based strategy games?!? I am firmly of the belief that something as complex as WW2 cannot be adequately played in RT format. There is simply too much that needs doing and watching and considering.

Where are all the turn based RPGs?!?! That's what I'd like to know! :D
 
I've been playing Blood Bowl. I don't know what the release date is for the US and UK, but it's already been released in mainland Europe. Go Gamer has the import version, and it's available for sale as a download. If you have liked any Games Workshop stuff, it's great.

It has a real time mode, but it's not very good. Stick with turn based classical mode, and it's almost exactly like the boardgame.
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have played a lot of the older turn based games, but i can see a few i missed. Perhaps i will try and track some of them down. GalCiv2 is the newest one i have, and i find it lacking. I can almost always win on normal difficulty, but only a "social" victory. Combat....ugh. Cannot seem to make that work worth a damn. The tech tree just doesn't give enough information on exactly WHAT each improvement gives. I want numbers, dammit! :p

To give you guys an idea, i used to play "rise and fall of the 3rd reich" board game (yes i am old), that game with 4-5 players would take a couple of weekends to play. Very in depth, with a LOT going on at all times.

I seriously wonder if RTS is the new 3D, where if you aren't RT the game somehow isn't worth playing. That just seems wrong to me.
 
I know it isn't necessarily a strategy game, but I would shoot missiles at an orphanage for a new Jagged Alliance game with the destructable environments from Silent Storm.


Holy cow! I loved silent storm. Excellent game with strong tactical feel. I think that dev team also made a couple of other turn based games...
 
To give you guys an idea, i used to play "rise and fall of the 3rd reich" board game (yes i am old), that game with 4-5 players would take a couple of weekends to play. Very in depth, with a LOT going on at all times.

I seriously wonder if RTS is the new 3D, where if you aren't RT the game somehow isn't worth playing. That just seems wrong to me.

Do you mean Rise and Decline of the Third Reich? Did you also get the video game of it?

If you pre-order Elemental: War of Magic, you can get in on the beta.

You might want to look at some of Gary Grigsby's games.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top