Turn based strategy games for PC?

Krenum

Fully [H]
Looking for a good TBS for the PC, anything come to mind besides Fallout Tactics ? I'm looking for something along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics, (best TBS ever imo).

Thanks in advance.

empire total wars games are all turn based games.. all the civilization games are turn based games..

but since ive never played nor want to play FFT i have no clue how close they are to that game..

Yeah, I have played all of the Total War games, Rome being my favorite, I didn't like Empire.

Anyway, those aren't the type of turnbased stratdegy game I was looking for, basically its a isometric view angle and you move your characters around on a grid.

Yeah, I have played all of the Total War games, Rome being my favorite, I didn't like Empire.

Anyway, those aren't the type of turnbased stratdegy game I was looking for, basically its a isometric view angle and you move your characters around on a grid.
Heroes 3.
Chess.
Checkers.

In all these games you move your units around a grid.
Heroes 3 IMO despite being old, is the most enjoyable game in this genre. Much better than Heroes 5.

Heroes 3.
Chess.
Checkers.

In all these games you move your units around a grid.
Heroes 3 IMO despite being old, is the most enjoyable game in this genre. Much better than Heroes 5.

Your really making me want to load HOMM3 up again!

Only issue i had with that game was my necro had so many skeli warriors that it went from several hundred thousand to negative several thousand lol and they did NO damage whatso ever

Your really making me want to load HOMM3 up again!

Only issue i had with that game was my necro had so many skeli warriors that it went from several hundred thousand to negative several thousand lol and they did NO damage whatso ever
That's not how the game is supposed to be played LOL. Try raising the difficulty.

That's not how the game is supposed to be played LOL. Try raising the difficulty.

That was on a harder map, every time your army kills something you get skeli warriors back via the necro skill. They build up after awhile and can do major damage lol

Last remnant is a bit dumbed down and consolish, but its a decent final fantasy style fighter (dumbed down controls). Held my interest for a week or two. Story is mediocre, voice acting has strange translations, and the combat is a bit random. Again though, pretty fun.

It's not FF Tactics style, but if you're a fan of MOO/MOO2, you might give Sword of the Stars a try (it and all expansions is something like $20 on Impulse I think)

On a slightly different note, does anyone know of anything at all similar to Dai Senryaku VII (PS2 and XBox) for the PC?

Don't know If you are into wargames, but if you are, the Combat mission games are a excellent "simultaneous move" turn base game. Also, the old and venerable Steel Panthers is/was awesome, and what more there are several free to DL versions including one that features modern armies.

Age of Wonders
Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic
Warlords 3 Reign of Heroes
Heroes of Might and Magic 1 to 5
Space Rangers 2
Master of Orion 2
Space Empires series
Galactic Civilizations 2
Kings Bounty

or you can buy FF Tactics and play it using a Playstation emulator. Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic has tons of content. Multiplayer is fun and single player took me a very long time to finish.

AGE OF WONDERS! thats one of the games I was trying to remember. thanks !:D

I liked Rome: Total War a few years ago. Lots of good mods there. Empire Total War, however, was terrible. I couldn't play it for more than 2 days because the turn based grand strategy was as deep as playing a game of risk and the real-time battles were very buggy, often impossible to control effectively (like if you have 20 naval vessels), and also generally unrealistic. Several patches have been released though so the gameplay might be significantly better.

Europa Universalis 3 complete edition (magna mundi mod makes it even better) is the best of the three imo. Sure, the graphics suck, but the gameplay is incrediblely deep and feels 100x more realistic than any of the total war games. A warning though, you will need to read the very large manual for the game and forums\wiki strategy otherwise you will fail hard and often. So, this isn't the game for everyone.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is very good, strong modding community as well. The AI will take advantage of you.

X-Com! The great grandfather....

Alpha Centauri (and Alien Crosshire addition): You get to customize your units heavily.

I remember having some good times with Mechanized Assault and Exploration and its sequel.

Was their any more modern series that was like a spiritual remake or had very simmilar gameplay?

The Silent Storm series.

Beware: If you have over 3gigs of RAM it will NOT run without you limiting your system down to 3gigs. :(

Combat Mission is great, but very complex. As a lover of FFT also.. I was definitely addicted to Civ4 for some time. Simcity is a great way to waste tons of time as well.

Try playing the older Front Mission games, those are sweet.

Age of wonders shadow magic is great. I keep crossing my fingers they will do an update (instead of overlord iii which I'm not that enthuse about).

civ 4 is not bad. Space rangers ii reboot is fun . I'm waiting to see how dragon age and elemental magic turn out...

Back