Turn a Xeon E3 1230v5 into an i7 6700K!

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Turn a Xeon E3 1230v5 into an i7 6700K! Misleading, but that's fine. You get the idea.

Buy this ASRock Motherboard ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 E3V5 PERF.GAMING/OC as it allows overclocking of Xeon chips.
Slap a Xeon E3 1230v5 into it.
OC the snot out of it.

If I botched something feel free to comment. Don't want to have people too excited for nothing. If this is old sorry. I don't keep up with the new Intel stuff all the time. Just saw this and thought it was neat for at least some of us. Here is the video producer's disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: There are noteworthy differences between the Core i7 6700K and the Xeon E3 1230v5, including but not limited to no HD Graphics on the Xeon's side, and no ECC memory support on the i7's side. Please investigate these differences in detail before deciding between these two alike CPUs.

Instructions

I think that NewEgg has the motherboard with a $15 rebate. Make sure it's the right one first though.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can I turn an X5560/Misc into a wonderful gaming computer????

Someone else will have to answer that one for you as I don't really keep up with Intel products as much as I should. I just thought some guys might like to try this out. Plus these processors usually end up dirt cheap at some point on EBAY, but by then all of the motherboards are inflated in price. Figured that someone might want to horde a mobo for later as a worst case scenario. :)

Hmm I think that just might be my next build. I might just go to 4.5 instead of 4.6 or even 4.4 as he's not even prime95 stable

Well, to me, it's a great computer. I can't afford to make my dream computer.

Edit: I'm a vet who has not met the criteria of PTSD, and never will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those Xeon E3 v5's the best bang-for-buck at this moment for CPU performance (in terms of gaming)?

My HTC Vive is showing that my old i7-970 is not up to par anymore.

That the only board that will oc that chip?
As far as I know it is the only one. But do some research first.

$265 vs $325

I think if the Xeon were $40 cheaper it might be worth it since it's closer to i5 pricing.

I was thinking that this might be one of those boards that you buy and keep for a later date when the new processors come out. Whenever Intel replaces these Xeon processors, the Asrock mobo will be nonexistent, and it will be really hard to even find a board that even supports them in a default speed setting. Well that has been my experience trying to buy a new mobo for older Xeon processors, when the processors hit fire sale prices.

Offtopic:
Am I the only one wondering if Asrock might do a Xeon OC board for X99?

As far as I know it is the only one. But do some research first.

I was thinking that this might be one of those boards that you buy and keep for a later date when the new processors come out. Whenever Intel replaces these Xeon processors, the Asrock mobo will be nonexistent, and it will be really hard to even find a board that even supports them in a default speed setting. Well that has been my experience trying to buy a new mobo for older Xeon processors, when the processors hit fire sale prices.

Offtopic:
Am I the only one wondering if Asrock might do a Xeon OC board for X99?

I would probably pick up an x99 board or 3 if they do.

This looked great and I was tempted, unfortunately, if you update the bios it kills the ability to overclock Xeon processors. Which takes away the benefits.

This looked great and I was tempted, unfortunately, if you update the bios it kills the ability to overclock Xeon processors. Which takes away the benefits.

Could Intel push a bios update via WIndows Update? I too was concerned about this.

With older windows than 10 I'd say no - because how are they going to force you to download it? With win10 they can probably do microcode update which could kill overclocking like they killed Pentium G3258 on non z-mobos

Also Asrock seems to have whole series of new Hyper mobos which have their own clock generator for overclocking non K skylake cpus but I can't find any tests of them.

Could Intel push a bios update via WIndows Update? I too was concerned about this.

No and the only way Intel can lock it down is with a BIOS update. Even if you get a board with newer bios you could roll back the version.

That Pentium G3258 overclocking was killed on any boards is news to me, and surprising. I really always thought that Intel tossed that little gem out as kind of a gift to the OC community as a cheap way to tinker. Weird.

That Pentium G3258 overclocking was killed on any boards is news to me, and surprising. I really always thought that Intel tossed that little gem out as kind of a gift to the OC community as a cheap way to tinker. Weird.
There was a patch that caused some unstable machines with Windows 10. But it's hardly killed.

for a while you could over clock on h87 boards, but a bios update put the kaibosh on that. still works on z87

Back