• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Turbo mode not working?

Fantasysage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
304
My specs are in my sig.

I just upgraded to an i5 750 today. I noticed while I am maxing one core out, the clock is not increasing as told via cpu-z. Whats up with that? Do I have to manually enable it?
 
Could be a couple things.

When I first built my i5 rig, the multiplier wouldn't go above 21x regardless of how I applied a single core load. One day it stopped booting, which I tracked down to a bad stick of RAM. I RMA'd the ram, installed the new ram, and the turbo mode began working properly. Any single core load will bump the multiplier up to 24x, just like it should.

The second time I had an issue (without even realizing it initially) was after I flashed the mobo to the latest BIOS. For some reason, the multiplier was set to 17x after the flash.

So to answer your question - yes, check your BIOS, as there may be settings to disable Turbo Boost or to cap the maximum multiplier.
 
Some motherboards need the C-States like C3/C6 enabled in the bios for turbo mode to work correctly. For a single core to get a boost, the other cores have to be able to go to sleep in at least the C3 state. If all cores are awake in the C0/C1 state then turbo boost won't work.

Also make sure you are using a recent version of CPU-Z.

i7 Turbo is a good app that will show you exactly what each thread / core in your CPU is up to.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip
 
Thanks to both of you. I am investigating a possible ram issue that may be at the heart of all my issues right now.
 
Finally found it in the mobo settings. It was hidden pretty well, but my CPU is definitely running better now. thanks!
 
Back
Top