• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

turbo led

Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
31
the case i'm putting together is old so it has a turbo led, no turbo switch just the led and as there's no turbo led pinout on my mobo I was wondering if anybody else had any ideas on what i could use it for, because I don't have a speaker I was thinking of using the led instead what do you guys think?
 
Speaker? Led? I don't see the relationship.

Drop the ritalin and step back :D
 
I can see trying to use an LED instead of a speaker, actually. It's possible, but you'd need to add a resistor to the LED. Since you don't know what voltage is feeding the speaker, though, it's hard to tell what value resistor you'd need.
 
OK, I guess in the sense that pc speaker tones are simple square wave pulse trains you could use it to monitor activity, so why not :)

I'd guess it's not likely more than your common 5v...
 
I haven't had reason to, so I don't know about the new motherboards, but the old ones measured/did use the 5V for the speaker output.
 
A lot of new (and not-so-new) motherboards have a little piezo speaker built in to the board, and the only sounds you'll hear from it will be error beeps during POST. And even those often come through your "proper" speakers instead.

With a thermistor/comparator circuit you could use the LED as a Hi-Temp alarm.
 
Back
Top