• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tubing/Radiator Help

GFreeman9

Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
643
Ok I'm routing my radiator outside my case. I'm using the same number of fans as I used to have when the rad was inside my case. I'm using a BIP III with 3x120mm Panaflo 100+ CFM fans in a pull setup. I added a lot more tubing and some ethylene glycol in a 50/50 solution with distilled water. To have the radiator setup outside my case I added significantly more tubing to the overall system. There is plenty of solution in the system. In addition I'm using a Laing D5 pump to pump all this. Also I'm trying to cool a GPU (Acetal Maze 4) and a CPU (TDX).

Now should I revert to the shorter tubing or could I buy another pump for more flow?
 
i'm assuming 1/2" tubing? You could try and swap some of it 3/8" to reduce some volume. Do you have any pics of the system so we can get a better idea of the configuration.
 
Most probably that pump will be more than able to handle that setup with little problem.

Just how many feet of tubing would you guesstimate are in the 'new' system? If its not over 10lf that pump will handle it assuming no other unusual restriction points (90 degree elbows,etc).

Now on your solution a 50/50 mix IS going to hit you performance wise. The thermal conductivity of ethylene glycol is less than half that of water while the thermal capacity for water is nearly twice that for ethylene glycol. For most systems without aluminum components in the flow path a 10% -15% antifreeze solution is fine. For systems with aluminum in the loop (usually the 'top' some some waterblocks can be anodized aluminum) normally people top out around 25%-30%. The main goal for anti-freeze in a system is for corrosion control. It negatively impacts cooling potential in regards to pure water. A secondary effect *may* be anti-growth although across several forums I have seen some pretty nasty pictures of 'critters' that managed to grow in an antifreeze/water only system. I would trim that mix down to 25% ethylene glycol and 75% water or close in order to get better performance. BTW ignore this if you are moving that radiator to somewhere 'outside' your house to take advantage of winter temps for cooling. In that case you will most probably need the 50/50 mix to drop the freezing point enough to avoid 'ice-cubing' your WCing system ;)

***EDIT***
One other question...
When you reroute will you be adding much (if any) vertical displacement of the water? Increased vertical displacement will also have a negative impact on flow rates although how much exactly I dont know.
 
I have a lot of tubing in my system(about 17 feet), and i get virtually the same temps as my system with less that half that (about 8 feet) difference of only about 1 C.

you can see my work log here to see if your going to use less or more tubing than me.

my worklog

here are a few pics so you can see how much tubing i used.

34532%3C2723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A94%3D78%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B87426896ot1lsi


34532%3C2723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2335%3D%3A94%3D78%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B874268%3A4ot1lsi


i am using the same pump, CPU block, VGA block as you.. only difference would be I have a BIP 2, instead of the 3. But i get great flow, so I tihnk you will be fine.

As for your mixture, I have no experience with that, I have only used either MCT-5, or a mixture of about 90/10 Distilled to antifreeze.
 
menlatin said:
i'm assuming 1/2" tubing? You could try and swap some of it 3/8" to reduce some volume. Do you have any pics of the system so we can get a better idea of the configuration.
this would only worsten his performance, adding restriction to his loop. what are you thinking that this would improve?
 
Bugsmasher said:
One other question...
When you reroute will you be adding much (if any) vertical displacement of the water? Increased vertical displacement will also have a negative impact on flow rates although how much exactly I dont know.
you were right on the ball up to this point.

added tubing hurts flow rate, however in a closed loop, the direction of flow doesn't matter. any time that the coolant goes up, fighting gravity, if falls back down again being helpted by gravity.

about the only place that you get an additional loss for vertical runs as opposed to horizontal is added fluid pressure, from the effect of gravity, buldging out the tubing. it's usually small enough that it doesn't matter anyway.
 
I was thinking in terms of a vertical or tall reservoir where there may be an air pocket to interupt the 'vacuum' effect of the fluid. In this case I thought that vertical displacement may have an effect. I am not sure of this however but....thought it better be 'kicked in' for thought just in case ;)


***EDIT***
Disregard that..

The system would remain closed so 'vacuum loss' shouldnt occur. I stand corrected ;)
 
Ok in response to some of your questions.
i'm assuming 1/2" tubing?
Yes that is correct, if you want to be specific I'm using 7/16" tubing.
BTW ignore this if you are moving that radiator to somewhere 'outside' your house to take advantage of winter temps for cooling. In that case you will most probably need the 50/50 mix to drop the freezing point enough to avoid 'ice-cubing' your WCing system
Yes I am moving the radiator to the outside, thats why I have a 50/50 mix.

@bradyapba my setup looks similar to your setup. I have about 12' of tubing being routed out to my rad.
 
DFI Daishi said:
probably, but no way to know for sure. test and see?
So far without fans no temp drops so i guess i have to slap some fans on there. Probably going with the Yate-Loons then.
 
It turns out the reason I wasn't getting great temps is because the PSU fan monitor cord was under the heatsink. :p
 
Daishi, he's gonna be moving the radiator outside. I almost posted the exact same thign you did... but then I read this:

[quote="GFreeman9']Yes I am moving the radiator to the outside, thats why I have a 50/50 mix.[/quote]
 
i realize that he plans to run outside.....perhaps i'm just splitting hairs, but it's not that the 50/50 mix will give the best temps, simply that it will work at all.

unless he is trying to say in a backhanded manner that by allowing him to mount the rad outdoors, running with a 50/50 mix will net him the best temps....in which case he is wording things more subtley than i initially gave him credit for.
 
Back
Top