• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

tube amp?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
9,776
Would love to get into tube amps

I may need to replace my current receiver soon, so here we go:

budget tube amps. do they exist?

if so, what am I looking at?

don't go elitist on me.. don't need some 1k+ amp. something on the cheaper side to get me into tubes (would like to test the waters) and whatnot.

it will need to be able to drive two mission argonaut speakers - 4 ohms. headphone would be nice, but not required.

anyone?

thanks:)
 
Not really. Tubes are more expensive to make than transistors anyhow, and because they are much lower volume these days the cost differential is even larger. You can get a tube for less than a grand for sure, but never as cheap as an equivalent transistor amp.

The question I'd ask is why you want a tube amp? If you are talking a playback situation where you are going to be operating the amplifier in its linear range, you are probably better served with a transistor amp. Less money, more power, less harmonic distortion, etc. The major difference in their characteristics is in the non-linear range, like on a guitar amp where you drive the tubes to their non-linear range on purpose to achieve certain kinds of distortion. For playback, I don't think there is a compelling reason to use them, and there are a number of compelling reasons not to.

I'd say look at a good transistor amp instead. Let me know a general budget and I can give you some suggestions.
 
I recomend you go talk to the guys over at audiokarma. They can help you with everything from vintage (But still kick ass) units to more modern ones.

As for cost, it all depends on your needs. I built a tube headphone amp for ~$50 in parts. It will drive just about any pair you throw at it. Also, the wattage ratings may look lower, but I promise you that unless your speakers are incredibly insensitive, only a couple of watts are needed to get the volume up.
 
Ok both of you are talking about headphone amps. That doesn't really help the original poster as he wants to drive speakers. Speakers need a lot more current as they are lower impedance, in particular his are even lower than most speakers. A headphone amp isn't going to do the trick.
 
Try looking at the Bravo Hybrid Tube amp. Awesome reviews for only $90.

Or for a little more, you can try the Little Dot 1+

Both are very good entry level budget tube amp...
 
Hey guys thank you for the replies.

Yes I am aware that it would be cheaper and easier to use a traditional, modern amp to power my speakers. I am willing to take a performance hit in order to get my feet wet in tubes.

I would have posted at audiokarma but I wanted to get the [H]s opinion first. :)

Radical, can those amps drive a pair of speakers? My mission argonauts have a sensitivity of 91. I know I don't need over 9000!!!! Watts, but I don't want something silly that can hardly power them.

Thanks again!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
If you dont want to spend more than 1K, I would recommend not going for tubes at all. Tubes are fun and potentially dry, lifelike, warm and great sounding, but they do not come cheap, neither does the amps. If your budget is under 1K go with an integrated amp. Bad tube amps, which is what you get in this sub 1K segment just dont matter, there are too many drawebacks (of course you can get a decent headphone amp in that range) if you care about great sound. Personally I would not consider a tube amp for less than 5-10K. There is just too much great sound to be had from the alternative offers. If you want to "get your feet wet in tubes", you need to understand the financial reality that is attached to this endeavour. You are going to want more and more very fast :D
 
For playback, I don't think there is a compelling reason to use them, and there are a number of compelling reasons not to.
Considering that simulating the harmonic distortions of tube amps with DSP is fairly trivial as well, it certainly does make the argument against tube amps pretty compelling.

That being said, there's always going to be the appeal of having glowing tubes around that can't otherwise be effectively reproduced. Things like that -- which have absolutely no bearing on the audio itself -- can certainly make the listening experience different and more enjoyable. Call it the "vinyl effect".
 
5-10k is not required for tube amps at all.

Used Onix SP3 @ $400.
Yaqin integrated @ $300
Yaqin power amp @ $600

There are plenty of brands and choices out there. Look around and you will be pleasantly suprised.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Thank you riddlin.. exactly what I'm looking for. Names with a price.

Awesome.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Back
Top