Tt BlacX Urban Wi-Fi Edition HDD Docking Station

Interesting product. I wonder if it will also act as a wifi adapter for a PC attached via USB? I've got a USB 3 only dock for my HDDs and it's very useful.

Can someone explain any legitimate uses for such a device? I'd hate to try to use something like this in my typical work meetings or at home. We use laptops with projectors at work, and I have a NAS at home.

Is this just for getting it done on the cheap or something? Maybe the video simply ignores the obvious usecase for having a dock to yank data off old HDD's before junking them?

Hrm. Maybe this would make sense to use as my HDD external backup for my NAS so I can swap for off-site storage... hrm...

Can someone explain any legitimate uses for such a device? I'd hate to try to use something like this in my typical work meetings or at home. We use laptops with projectors at work, and I have a NAS at home.

Is this just for getting it done on the cheap or something? Maybe the video simply ignores the obvious usecase for having a dock to yank data off old HDD's before junking them?

Hrm. Maybe this would make sense to use as my HDD external backup for my NAS so I can swap for off-site storage... hrm...

It's just a wireless version of the already-awesome BlacX dock. Great for network storage.

Also, are you the same Bgrngod who used to BBS in Portland back in the early- to mid-90s? Only ever seen the name there...

and I have a NAS at home.
If this could work as a "wireless NAS dock" it would be awesome. If I want to access something on any random drive, just *chonk*.

However, the web page for it really stresses Android and iOS but doesn't really talk about PCs at all. It has all the makings of "you need to be wired to it and/or do really bizarrely unusual things to write to it."

However, the web page for it really stresses Android and iOS but doesn't really talk about PCs at all. It has all the makings of "you need to be wired to it and/or do really bizarrely unusual things to write to it."

Not 100% sure, but from the user's manual, it appears to offer SMB for PC/Mac, so it should function like a regular share from a NAS (wired or wirelessly).

If this is still in the $50 to $100 range, it would make for a nice little media server for UPnP-enabled TVs.

This is a strange device, I think if the price is right, it can have use but it clearly is meant to be a dock and otherwise temporary solution. It doesn't have active cooling for mechanical drives and they get really hot in these docks with no cooling. I have this same docking station with USB3 and dual bays at work.

Put a server closet in every home stick the kids music on here they can stream from it and you can check to make sure nothing questionable is on it.

It's just a wireless version of the already-awesome BlacX dock. Great for network storage.

Also, are you the same Bgrngod who used to BBS in Portland back in the early- to mid-90s? Only ever seen the name there...

Yup! That's definitely me. The name doesn't get used elsewhere very often since it's kinda stupid ;)

Game Connection by chance?

Back