• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TT Armor or Stacker, for my fileserver?

ModBoyzz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Messages
215
Hey all,

I recently built a 1.2 TB fileserver using the Antec Sonata II case.Pictures Here
Anyhow, I definitely regret it now as I now want to expand my storage. I've narrowed my search down to 2 cases. TT Armor and Stacker . Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the Armor because of the looks. Which one do you guys recommend?


Thanks in advance.
 
the armor is alright, i have one and your downside is you have to buy extra modules to hold enough HDD's, stock you can put 8 in there. But with two additional modules you max out at 14. But i would get the windowless one and take off the flaps when you get it because they do nothing and just get annoying to move around.
 
I'm building a 2TB rig myself, I'm opting to go with the Stacker, not that I'm bashing TT or anything but I have 2 Xasers and I'm just about fed up with them
 
board2death986 said:
I would get the windowless one and take off the flaps when you get it because they do nothing and just get annoying to move around.

QFT - Those flap things look cool at first but then they get *really* annoying.

I also agree with getting the non-windowed and cut your own. In my application at least, it shows too much of what I don't want it to and not enough of what I do...It didn't take long before I ordered a non-windowed replacement panel to cut up :D

EDIT: ** If I had it to do again, I would definately buy the stacker of the two but I probably won't buy anything but a Lian-Li in the future.**

Major issues with the Armor:
- The "doors" on the front are a useless PITA.
- You can't use the top fan with a larger PSU.
- The location of the USB/Firewire/Audio ports sux
- The layout does not maximize it's space.
- It weighs a TON!
 
Personally, I've never been a fan of thermaltake's designs or build quality. I'd go with the stacker for it's simplicity and if you really want looks you can mod the hell out of it.
 
I just did a stacker 810 build,I like it for style and preformance,real nice all around maybe for water cool the original is better but for air cool this is top choice for me
 
board2death986 said:
you have to buy extra modules to hold enough HDD's, stock you can put 8 in there

Unless I'm mistaken you have to do the same with the Stacker.

I got the TT Armor (windowless ver) over the 810 Stacker because it holds more hard drives for me (13 hdd + DVD burner), and I like the looks of it over the Stacker. I can side with the majority on the door flaps, but I like them. Either case will be heavy once you put more hdd in them but that doesnt really matter to me since I bring my file server with me to almost every lan. I also agree that the placement of the usb/firewire/audio ports is in an ass position.

Putting a large psu into the Armor is a real headace because of the top audio/usb ports. The plugs get in the way.

As far as build quality, its up there with any manufacturer.

But ultimately, save for looks, the Stacker seems like a better case. USB placement, no flappy door, 2 psu locations.
 
My $0.02

Get the Stacker. It'll take a 2nd PSU in the bottom, and the backplane is flippable to install a BTX board if you want. Also, they have fanned/vented 4-in-3 cages for it. And the case is even big enough to acomodate a watercooling rig.

But put casters on it cause it'll be a heavy mother!!!
 
I'm very happy with my stacker as well. (810)

The case comes with one 3 HD w/ Fan rack but there is room for at least 4 of them. All with their own fans. I like the top fan...specially with a bunch of HDD's really helps dissapate all the hot air. It has a side fan but IMO it's kinda usless since it's no where near any piece of equipment. all the grills are lined with some foam so that helps keep the dust down, but the grills themselves are kinda finicky and don't stay in place super well.

He's right on the wieght though its a heavy mother. Thing should come with wheels though unless you plan on moving around alot it's not really a problem.
 
enigmamdw said:
...but the grills themselves are kinda finicky and don't stay in place super well.
Then they're not pushed all the way in. Normally it requires a crowbar and some dynamite to move them.
 
Stacker - better build quality and not another TT wanna be knock off.

dual PSU support which is great for alot of harddrives.
 
I would also go with the stacker. A friend has the armor and the flap sides are about the worst thing to some to cases in some time. Plus the front bay panels look cheap, mesh is porrly folded/not flat and such. One nice thign about it though is there is so much metal it just gives off a hum w/o any descernable sounds from the HDs
 
All,

Thanks a ton for all the replies. Looks like I'm going with the stacker. ;)
 
i was looking at the same two cases...and i think i'm gonna end up going with the stacker...i'm leaning towards the 810 but a lot of people seem to think the origional is better
 
Back
Top