• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tsunami vs GTX 260

ZacharyS

Gawd
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
758
So, I've been told elsewhere that the GTX 260 will not fit in a Thermaltake Tsunami case w/ the harddrive cage still in place. This is a bit of a problem because I have three hard drives, and I need them all. I pretty much have to upgrade my GPU because my 8800 320 just can't handle 1920x1200 anymore.

I want to get a P182 really badly, but I'm trying to wait for another sale, because I just can't spend that much on a case right now (college student :p). Eventually I will upgrade, but for now, I was wondering if anyone has modded their Tsunami in any way that would allow a GTX 260 to fit, because I'd like to upgrade my GPU asap.
 
It still fits, but it's very very tight. Be prepared to fight with it. You must install the card first, then slide the cage in at a slight angle. Also, it will rub against the back of the card and probably scrape some paint off. If you want to protect it, put some tape on the cage.

Also, if you only have 1 HD, you can install it in the bottom floppy bay. Get HDtune and watch the temps though, not much airflow up there. I have a 250GB up there and it doesn't go over 33*C, but it's not an OS drive, just storage.

With 3 HD's though, it will be tough. You can put one on top, one on bottom (will somewhat block the airflow the the GTX260 though), and maybe one in the floppy bay. You could also get some HD hotswap 5.25" coolers and put the HD's up in the 5.25" bays.

Pics:
DSC_7686.jpg

DSC_7687.jpg


Ugggh case is damn dusty with the extra fans. I added a top 92mm fan from the side window, moved the USB ports to the front, and also put a 120mm fan in the 3 5.25" drive bays.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/DSMKevan/DSC_7693.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/DSMKevan/DSC_7695.jpg
 
how hot does your stuff run? Is it pretty decent temps? I notice you're overclocking (which I am too) so I'm just curious. I have a scythe ninja so my CPU should be fine, just want to know what your GPU runs so cramped up.
 
I get CPU temps with my current setup and clock of 32*C idle 44*C load, with a 70*F ambient.

My GPU temps idle around 45*C, I've never really seen it get excessively hot (never seen it above 60*C for any extended period).

I run a silverstone ~112CFM fan in front, but it's never fully on. On top in the CD bays is the stock 120mm front fan, on top of the case is the stock 92mm side fan, and in the rear is the stock 120mm led fan. There is also the 120mm CPU fan and the 135mm PSU fan that help it out as well. I also taped the side of the HD cage on the back create a "shroud" for the air to pass through. I then removed the front filter and put on a wire mesh one. Next step is to cut out some of the front plastic case and bolt on a filter for straight airflow.

I think the setup is reaching the limits of the case, I'm going for a Silverstone FT01 for my next case. Plus, with all those fans it's quite a bit louder. It's not that bad really, but I heard the FT01 is near-silent but has tons of airflow.

It's actually not that cramped up for the GPU, it gets plenty of air, but in my configuration if there was a HD on the bottom position it would block almost all airflow. That's why I moved my bottom HD to the floppy bay.
 
Tsunami case. Ah it brings back a lot memories. I sure miss mine...
 
It should fit either way...with the hard drive cage in, or if not take it out and you have room for like a 15" long video card...LOL! I used to have one then I moved to a Lian Li PC-A05B. There should be more than sufficient space and air circulation to tame a GTX 260, especially if ym Lian Li can hold a GTX 260 and keep it @ 45C idle and 65C MAX LOAD. Goodluck!
 
What did you use to cut the top part of the case to make the fan fit? That seems like it would help my overall situation a lot simply because right now, the side fan is litterally right on top of my cpu heatsink, like, they're so close the fan frame is actually touching it. Moving it to the top seems like it would dramatically increase airflow into my case. Do you think two storage drives would be ok in the floppy drive section? I don't have a floppy drive so both spots are open, just not sure about heating/cooling HDDs.

You did some cool mods but I don't think I'd go to such lengths as you did, simply because I really don't know how to do most of it. BTW, I was looking at that silverstone case as well, but it's def out of my budget :p.
 
I don't :p Fucking hated that case, so glad I got rid of it.

Lol. I guess I'm quite fond of mine since it was my first case.

As of now I move from that case to the Lian-Li V2000. Love the limitless space! :D
 
What did you use to cut the top part of the case to make the fan fit? That seems like it would help my overall situation a lot simply because right now, the side fan is litterally right on top of my cpu heatsink, like, they're so close the fan frame is actually touching it. Moving it to the top seems like it would dramatically increase airflow into my case. Do you think two storage drives would be ok in the floppy drive section? I don't have a floppy drive so both spots are open, just not sure about heating/cooling HDDs.

I used a mill to cut the slots out of the top vents, then I used some epoxy to glue the bay covers together, then glued in a fan "holder" (these are stock on the Tsunami case, it's the purple holder for the front and back fans). There is also some mesh in between the bay covers and holder to minimize dust. You could cut the vents with anything really, that was just the fastest way for me.

I think it would be a LOT easier to just glue the bay covers together, cut out a large 110mmX110mm hole, then mount on the front a grill, and then use the stock Tsunami fan holder on the rear.

Here's a link to the grill I used on the top of the case, that I think would work great for a bay cover:

http://www.xoxide.com/12alfanfil.html

For the top of the case, I just used a tin snips to cut out the USB "mounting" area, you'll see if you just take off the USB stuff. Then I just drilled 4 holes for mounting the fan, and then 4 more wider spaced holes for the 120mm fan filter I have mounted on top. I'm meaning to go back and clean up the cuts, a Dremel would be perfect for this.

Pictures:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/DSMKevan/DSC_7713.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/DSMKevan/DSC_7715.jpg

As for the floppy drive section, I would be worried with more than one HD in there. Simply because with only 1 hard drive, there is at least some air space above it for cooling. But with 2, it's a very tight fit, and I think overheating would be a problem. There literally is no air moving up there, whereas in front of the front 120mm fan they get plenty cooling.

You might be better off just getting some way to mount them in the top 5.25" bays. Also, you will have to drill extra holes in the floppy cage in order to mount an HD in the top slot; there are only holes for HD mounting in the bottom slot.

You did some cool mods but I don't think I'd go to such lengths as you did, simply because I really don't know how to do most of it. BTW, I was looking at that silverstone case as well, but it's def out of my budget :p.

All the stuff I did is really quite easy, just takes some time and common sense. I'll probably be on the Tsunami case for a long time, that Silverstone is really expensive!
 
Lol. I guess I'm quite fond of mine since it was my first case.

As of now I move from that case to the Lian-Li V2000. Love the limitless space! :D

ya it was my first case too. i just found it to be quite small, loud, overly lit, and a ripoff lol.
 
Back
Top