trying to use wireless, help please!

wayne

2[H]4U
Okay, here's the thing. I have worked with simple home network stuff (like hubs, routers, etc) but I'm not exactly "pro" at it (yet, haha). I stopped like maybe an year or two ago because I have been so caught up with school work and what not, but now that the summer is starting, I would like to fix up my home network. If any of you guys remember, the network I made a while ago was basically routers and hubs that I organized inside a milk crate (too cheap to buy my own rack :p ) and then I modded the crate so it had a handle, lighting, LED fans, etc. (There might be some pics floating around, I'll post some if you guys want to see).

Anyways, the way my network is set up is basically, internet flows via coax cable, to a 4 port wired Belkin router. Then one of the ports is wired to a 5 port netgear switch. The extra ports on the Belkin router and the Netgear switch is wired to either computers throughout my house or to my VoIP box, which is then wired to the phones in my house. Recently I bought a 802.11b wireless router (D-link DI-514) and I want to include wireless in my network. I have swapped my Belkin router out with the D-link router, and used it, so I know it works. However, in using the D-link router, I can't use the wire and wireless together (Is this normal?, if not, how do I change it?). So now, I'm thinking, I don't want to just throw away the Belkin router and lose 4 ports, so I want to include the wireless router without disturbing everything else.

Now, my question is.. How do I do this? (any help would be greatly appreciated!)

THANKS

I would use the belkin router as the main one and set the d-link one up in access point mode. You will need to connect a cable from either your belkin router or switch into any of the lan ports on the d-link. Then log into the d-link web interface and disable the DCHP server or find a setting that will change it to access point mode. It should then add wireless capacity to your network.

BTW, 11b is really old and slow.

I would use the belkin router as the main one and set the d-link one up in access point mode. You will need to connect a cable from either your belkin router or switch into any of the lan ports on the d-link. Then log into the d-link web interface and disable the DCHP server or find a setting that will change it to access point mode. It should then add wireless capacity to your network.

BTW, 11b is really old and slow.

lols yeah i know its old. I bought it like two years ago when I still had all that free time, its just that i never had the time install it and get it working.

By the way, when you say, connecting a cable from the belkin router or switch intot he lan ports on the d-link, is it a crossover cable or can i just use a regular cable?

And also, how would I log into the d-link web interface? is it the same as logging into the Belkin where I just use IE and access 192.168.2.1?

Also, what do you mean by access point mode?

Thanks!

1. Usually a regular (patch) cable will do.
2. You would log in using the IP address of the d-link (192.168.1.1)
3. Access point mode will disable the DCHP server and all routing functions so it will act like a Wireless Access Point

1. Usually a regular (patch) cable will do.
2. You would log in using the IP address of the d-link (192.168.1.1)
3. Access point mode will disable the DCHP server and all routing functions so it will act like a Wireless Access Point

is that the IP address of the d-link or the belkin?

I think it is the one D-Link uses for their routers but I'm not certian.

Plug the dlink directly into the computer you are using then try entering 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 one of them should bring the router control pannel up. You should then find the access point mode option and set it to use a IP adress that starts with 192.168.2.XXX.

Actually you should try [SIZE=-1]putting 192.168.0.1 into IE.
[/SIZE]

Actually you should try [SIZE=-1]putting 192.168.0.1 into IE.
[/SIZE]

doesnt work, seems like only 192.168.2.1 works, and it gets me into the belkin router only, not the d-link

what should i do?

Temporarily assign a static IP to your computer as 192.168.0.2 and then try logging in.

Go into Network Connections in Control Pannel. -> Right click you network adapter -> Select Properties -> Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Use the following IP address" -> Type 192.168.0.2 -> Hit the tab key -> Click Ok and Ok again.

That will assing a static IP of 192.168.0.2 to your computer, you should then open IE and type 192.168.0.1 to access the web based admin of the router.

okay i tried that, it didnt work

i can access the belkin router via IE, but i dont know how to access the d-link router thru IE

just curious, why do i have to change the IP of my computer?

OK unplug the belkin router and plug the d-link one in. Restart you computer so the d-link will assign a IP adress to it. Then try to log in to the router.

Back