Trying to setup Untangle box on AT&T DSL connection

hiodie

Gawd
I am attempting to finally setup my Untangle box, and I cannot get figure out how to set it up so I can connect to the internet. The modem connects just fine (verified by either hooking computer up directly or going through my old router). I tried to just use Dynamic (DHCP), but it fails the TCP test, but passes the DNS test if that matters. Currently, PPP is on the modem, but I'm not sure if that will be the best for future use. I am pretty naive when it comes to networking, so if someone can try to help me out on what settings to try, I would appreciate it.

Not sure if it matters, but I used to have a terrible time trying to connect my Linksys router to the modem, but changing the IP address of the router to 192.168.2.1 fixed that issue. I'm not sure how to change the actual router's address on Untangle, but I did change the internal network to 192.168.2.0 and that did not help.

Turn off NAT and PPPoE on the modem. Use Untangle for PPPoE (if Untangle supports it).

Untangle does support PPPoE with DSL, I have quite a few installs in service with that.
You can disable PPPoE on the "modem"...and have your Untangle box do the PPPoE and obtain the public IP.
You can also have your modem do the PPPoE but still pass the public IP to Untangle....so Untangle..just set to RED NIC to DHCP

You can also have your modem do the PPPoE but still pass the public IP to Untangle....so Untangle..just set to RED NIC to DHCP

This is my preferred solution with DSL. The modem handles everything to get you connected to the ISP, and just hands off a working public IP to whatever device you connect to it.

I'm guessing that the "modem" is actually doing NAT routing, since you mentioned the Linksys router having problems too. If you hook up the router, what IP address does it get on the WAN interface? It should be a public internet IP, not a private LAN IP like 192.168.x.x.

Back