• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to setup SquirrelMail on Windows XP Pro

rsnellma

Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2002
Messages
639
I am trying to setup SquirrelMail on Windows XP Pro, which I know is possible. The order I am following: (1st) Install & setup Apache 1.33 (2nd) Install & Setup PHP 4.3.11 (3rd) Install & Setup SquirrelMail. The problem I am having is on step 2...I am having trouble setting PHP up to use as an Apache module and how can I tell it is working properly? What kind of tests/diagnostics can I run to find these out? I know Apache is working correctly, I typed in my machines IP and up came the Apache page saying I was successful in installing and setting it up. Any suggestions or if you could point me in the right direction with links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001
 
You could test PHP by... loading a simple PHP page?

(This seems too simple, I fear I've missed something in your question.)
 
You've added a line in the apache config file to load the PHP4 module correct?

Something like this...

Code:
# PHP5 support:
LoadModule php4_module "PATH/TO/PHPDIRECTORY/php4apache.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

And while you're at it, add a line to tell Apache the path to php.ini

Code:
# Configure the path to php.ini
PHPIniDir "PATH-PHP-DIRECTORY"

Now to test if your PHP installation is working correctly, put a PHP script in your htdocs directory and try to load it up.

Here's a simple one - cut and paste it into a text file, name it something like test.php

Code:
<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Load up the page, and if it works, you'll see a lot of information about the PHP install and Apache environment info.

Hope that helps.
 
Thank you for all your help. I know it may seem simple to you but I forgot to mention, I am a newbie in all sense of the word when it comes to PHP, Apache and the like. I actually figured out what you suggested before I remembered to check back here. But I thank you all the more for your quick & detailed responses. Now I am needing to verify that IMAP and gettext extensions are working. I have scanned the PHP info page used to test that PHP was working correctly with Apache as a module. But I am unable to find whether or not it is working. Can you give me a clue as to what the extensions look like on the PHP info page? Thanks in advance.

Bob2001
 
Ok, I have SquirrelMail finally running. It is linking to our Novell Server where the email database & Addressbook is kept. My question is, how do I get rid of the INBOX.Sent, INBOX.Trash, INBOX.Drafts when I already have a set of them without INBOX prefix? I would like to have it happen globally (to every user that logs on). I know you can unsubscribe to them under folder features. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001
 
Sorry, I don't have any specific advice on SquirrelMail, other than to avoid it. If it's not too late, you may want to check out Horde and the IMP webmail component, specifically (screenshots available at that link). It makes SquirrelMail look like a joke.
 
BillLeeLee said:
You've added a line in the apache config file to load the PHP4 module correct?

Something like this...

Code:
# PHP5 support:
LoadModule php4_module "PATH/TO/PHPDIRECTORY/php4apache.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

And while you're at it, add a line to tell Apache the path to php.ini

Code:
# Configure the path to php.ini
PHPIniDir "PATH-PHP-DIRECTORY"

Now to test if your PHP installation is working correctly, put a PHP script in your htdocs directory and try to load it up.

Here's a simple one - cut and paste it into a text file, name it something like test.php

Code:
<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Load up the page, and if it works, you'll see a lot of information about the PHP install and Apache environment info.

Hope that helps.

unrelated to original - but no a hijack*

when i added info to my apache, i used the following

Code:
ScriptAlias /xxx/ "c:/a_folder/" 
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml 
Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php.exe"

im running php 4.something, but i just noticed my addition was a lot different. it still works fine, whats the difference and why dont i need have calls to paths similar to your example?
 
HorsePunchKid said:
Sorry, I don't have any specific advice on SquirrelMail, other than to avoid it. If it's not too late, you may want to check out Horde and the IMP webmail component, specifically (screenshots available at that link). It makes SquirrelMail look like a joke.
seconded.
I love the Horde system.

Quick note: Horde is just a collection of utlities with a common infrastructure. IMP for example is the email part, the address book module is turba, and calendar is called kronolith.

It's customizable too.
 
rsnellma said:
Ok, I have SquirrelMail finally running. It is linking to our Novell Server where the email database & Addressbook is kept. My question is, how do I get rid of the INBOX.Sent, INBOX.Trash, INBOX.Drafts when I already have a set of them without INBOX prefix? I would like to have it happen globally (to every user that logs on). I know you can unsubscribe to them under folder features. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

run config\config.pl
press 3 and hit enter
numbers 3,4,5
 
Back
Top