Trying to set up PXE - "PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout"

Nazo

2[H]4U
Ok, I've been fighting my server on trying to get a PXE LAN boot set up. I FINALLY got the DHCP aspect 100% working (yes, it was a stupid little minor error that ruined everything, but I finally fixed it.) The thing is, now I'm just having loads of troubles trying to get the TFTP part working. At first I tried the latest official tftpd-hpa from the official archives, but it didn't seem to work, so I tried the official package for PXE booting in Mandriva, but it definitely didn't work at all (probably doesn't help that they seem to have half broken urpm for 2006 with one or two of their updates since they pretty much only care about 2007 now.) I also tried the atftp-server package, but didn't really have any better results.

So now I'm back to tftpd-hpa which really seems like the best choice anyway since I'm using PXELinux (and it's actually pretty much the only thing I want to use anyway, so it kind of just makes sense to use the server created by the syslinux author after all.) Anyway, I got it partially working at times -- it actually worked for an hour or two this morning perfectly -- but most of the time tftp just keeps sort of freezing up. In the network boot client it eventually just times out and gives the error "PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout." I tried the plain tftp client on the server itself (eg tftp localhost) and tried to get the pxelinux.0 file, and while a pxelinux.0 file was created in the current folder, the download never completed (pretty bad considering that we are talking about a 14KB file...) When the tftp server is working ok, the download completes instantly however. Right now, as nearly as I can determine it really feels like it's just completely random when it will work or not other than the fact that it doesn't work for far longer periods of time than when it does work.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Back