Trying to run F@H on 8600GT, says not supported

So, I thought all 8xxx series nVidia GPUs were supported? I installed the GPU client and then open it to configure and it says my GPU is not supported or I need to update my drivers. So I go to nVidia and download the latest drivers for Vista x64 and install, reboot. Fire it up again and get the same problem. Is x64 not supported or something? Does the 8600 not work with the GPU client?

Here is the exact error message:

At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver. You may wish to consider running our standard client, which you can download at folding.stanford.edu.

I am running a X2 3600+ that is OC'ed to about 2.4GHz, 2 GB RAM, MSI 8600GT, Vista Ultimate SP1 x64.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Spanks!

yeah, I read through the GPU folding guide again and figured out that I need the CUDA drivers thingy. My bad....

I installed that and it still says my GPU isn;t supported. I am going to try uninstalling/reinstalling the GPU client......

GARRRRRR, I uninstalled and re-installed the client, after installing the CUDA driver, and it still says my GPU is unsupported . . . .

anyone have any other ideas??

I can vouch for it working, but don't expect the stellar numbers of 3-4K ppd or better. My 8600GT can crank out almost 1500 ppd (three 480 pernt Gromacs, 8 hours each) when it feels like working right for 24 hours or more... :rolleyes:

Of course, then I look at some of the folders on here doing a fifty to a hundred points a day, and tell myself to shut up, it could be worse! :D

Did you do an uninstall of the drivers before you installed the new ones?

finally got it working just now. I had to uninstall F@H GPU, uninstall all the old drivers and reinstalled the CUDA package, then install the GPU client again.

So, if I try to install the regular nvidia drivers will this break the GPU client? Because I do game on this machine occasionally. Are the CUDA drivers suitable for the gaming??

Thanks. :D

CUDA drivers will be fine for gaming. My rig folds whenever I'm not gaming and I just pause the client when I want to game.

LOL, I just got the damn thing working! :D

Looked like it was going to finish it's first WU in about 7.5 hours, not sure what core it was, don't really know about the PPD. I don't really pay all that much attention to PPD and stuff like that. I am just happy to increase my output and add to the cause. :)

Man that is slow, it only takes my 8800 GTS 640meg 2.5 hours per WU. But it's still better than nothing like you said. I'm about to add a second 8800 GTS 640meg to about double my output.

LOL, I just got the damn thing working! :D

Looked like it was going to finish it's first WU in about 7.5 hours, not sure what core it was, don't really know about the PPD. I don't really pay all that much attention to PPD and stuff like that. I am just happy to increase my output and add to the cause. :)

Luck man, glad you got it going;)

How about installing RivaTuner and overclocking the shaders. Seems to me that when I had the 8600GT, I got about 6hrs +or- per work unit with the shaders kicked up. G

How about installing RivaTuner and overclocking the shaders. Seems to me that when I had the 8600GT, I got about 6hrs +or- per work unit with the shaders kicked up. G

hmmm, I think I'll give that a shot and see what happens. My case has excellent airflow so I should be able to crank it up a bit. :D
thanks for the tip.

looks like I am averaging about 6.5 hours per WU so far, without OC'ing. I'm going to try the RivaTuner here in a few minutes and see what happens.

hmmmm, RivaTuner doesn't like my video card either. I am wondering if it is the CUDA drivers?? I went and downloaded 2.10. Says "No supported drivers detected for this display adapter" Of course it could have something to do with my trying to run from an RDP session . . .

hmmmm, RivaTuner doesn't like my video card either. I am wondering if it is the CUDA drivers?? I went and downloaded 2.10. Says "No supported drivers detected for this display adapter" Of course it could have something to do with my trying to run from an RDP session . . .

Yeah, RDP cause havoc with the client so ditch it and use VNC instead or hook a monitor. This has to do with the fact that when RDC is used, Windows switch the display driver and this reset the client.

Yeah, RDP cause havoc with the client so ditch it and use VNC instead or hook a monitor. This has to do with the fact that when RDC is used, Windows switch the display driver and this reset the client.

That's what I figured. I was too lazy to get out of bed last night and actually go to the computer and try it. :D

Okay, so I finally got off my ass and went to the computer and did some riva tuner tweaking. I OC'ed the GPU 66MHz and the shaders in sync about 187MHz or something. So far it seems to be working good and looks like it will be shaving about 30-45 minutes off each WU. So, I should be able to get 4 in per day now. sweet. I am going to let this ride for a few days and then try to push it a bit further.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Does this mean you also can't RDC into a box that already has the systray version of the GPU2 client running without killing it?

I am pretty sure I have RDPed into my box after I got the client working for a short time without issue, might be wrong though, I'll have to check that out tonight when I get home and start dorking out.

As I tell my customers:

RDP opens a user SESSION. Not far differnet than logging into the computer.

VNC/TightVNC/etc... Is like looking over a shoulder of a user. The user session is left undisturbed.

There's some behind the scenes differences that make this more comnplex, but should suitably explain the differnece.

Unless you need to execute from that PC as a local user, avoiding RDP will leave services and sessions as they are. RDP can/will close other user sessions, programs and services, if need be, for a new user session.

Well when I login the session is already running as I only have 1 login setup, and just disconnect when i'm done, not log off. Even when you go to Display settings, it says '(default monitor) on RDPDD Chained DD'. I think the issue is when you RDP, anything that uses directx/gfx just flat out doesn't work.

Alright i'll setup VNC instead. I kept meaning to use this but i'm soooo lazy.

I love the 177.35 drivers with a modded inf. I saw increased performance in Oblivion AND it lets me fold as well!

Back