Trying to remember an old DOS game

Captain Kirk

Limp Gawd
I figure this is probably impossible to track down, but maybe someone will remember the game. I feel like I played it briefly between 1993-1996. You're playing a character that wakes up in an apartment. If you spend too much time there, a guy comes home and attacks you and the game ends. I remember there was a few things you could do in the apartment, but I couldn't ever figure out the path out, so I shelved the game and lost it at some point.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what this lost title might be?

It's similar to Deja Vu in graphics style, but that's not quite it. I know it's totally useless fact-wise, but I feel like it came in a large cardboard box with red lettering for the title.

I may just have to let it remain in the mists of memory and time.

Could be Rise of the Dragon. All I remember from the game was that you do start in an apartment, and that I also walked out the front door without bothering to get dressed and got arrested immediately. lol. Fun times.

Dreamweb? I don't think I ever got attacked in the apartment, but you do wake up in it, wander around and collect things, etc. It gets kinda cyberpunk(y) though, so not sure if that suits the style.

Sounds like Journeyman Project could be what you're describing. Here's a playthrough video to further spark your memory (they don't wait around in the beginning apartment to get killed in the video, but I do vaguely that being a thing in this game). The copy of thegame I had was on a cd that was black and yellow and had a large radioactive symbol on it, though I'm fairly certain it originally came on floppy disks considering the age of the game..

Sounds like Journeyman Project could be what you're describing. Here's a playthrough video to further spark your memory (they don't wait around in the beginning apartment to get killed in the video, but I do vaguely that being a thing in this game). The copy of thegame I had was on a cd that was black and yellow and had a large radioactive symbol on it, though I'm fairly certain it originally came on floppy disks considering the age of the game..

Not sure if this is the OP's game or not, but as to the CD thing: I think it was CD only. I remember it coming out a bit after the 7th Guest, and if I remember correctly was one of the next big "CD" games. I could be wrong, but that seems to ring a bell for me. Never actually played it though. Any good?

I'd suggest Phantasmagoria but doubt that's it. Was in a house though i think. :confused:

Snatcher?

You dont wake up in an apartment in Snatcher.
In fact, no apartment appears till chapter 3 or something.

I'm guessing one of those Sierra games like Gabriel Knight(prolly not) or Phantasmagoria(prolly not this one, either) or Dark Seed(you wake up in a HOUSE in the first one).

You dont wake up in an apartment in Snatcher.
In fact, no apartment appears till chapter 3 or something.

I'm guessing one of those Sierra games like Gabriel Knight(prolly not) or Phantasmagoria(prolly not this one, either) or Dark Seed(you wake up in a HOUSE in the first one).

I didn't remember the beginning as I haven't played it in years. That was mainly based on the "Deja Vu-like" graphics statement. Only now did I think of the part where Snatcher is not a DOS game. :D Excellent game though.

Dark Seed is a large house. Phantasmagoria is a huge manor/mansion. Neither are particularly apartment-esque. Though the second Phantasmagoria could be closer. Can't remember, but it was more modern.

Well, the OP hasn't responded in a while, so I'll probably stop guessing until we get some more data. :D

Bloodnet maybe. You go to the apartment in the beginning, then wake up after the opening events. Can't remember the exact sequence though.

Yeah, I think we gave OP a long enough list to look at.
But now I'm very curious as to what it is.

Yeah, I think we gave OP a long enough list to look at.
But now I'm very curious as to what it is.

Me too. :D You wake up in a house in Veil of Darkness after a plane crash. That's a pretty distinctive game though. He'd probably remember that.

I'm still kinda thinking Dreamweb. Or maybe a Tex Murphy game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Leisure Suit Larry started in an apartment with a hooker. Had to go out the window to leave.

Me too. :D You wake up in a house in Veil of Darkness after a plane crash. That's a pretty distinctive game though. He'd probably remember that.

I'm still kinda thinking Dreamweb. Or maybe a Tex Murphy game?

I loved Veil of Darkness when I was a kid. Such a great game for its time.

I loved Veil of Darkness when I was a kid. Such a great game for its time.

I've been meaning to go back and play it sometime. I still remember most of the music from it.

I never tested the theory, but I always had a feeling that the language in the opening dialog was just the English version played backwards. :D

Back