Trying to network 2 puters, no hub or router

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
Hey all...i was trying to get my 2 puters working.

I traded off my Router cause I really dont need it anymore.

Im trying to direct connect 2 PCs via NIC cards. When I plug the cables in it doesnt show as connected. It shows the nic on both puters as enabled, but they both have red X's on them in system tray. I tried a few different cables but again its not working...

Am i missing something here?

Yea thought so....so funny how you sometimes dont the remember the easiest things ahaha....thanks.

Is it just me or does running a network with no hub seem slower on transfers?

Does running a hub between then make the network faster?

Originally posted by Highlife
Is it just me or does running a network with no hub seem slower on transfers?

Does running a hub between then make the network faster?
Check speed & duplex on both cards. Make sure they match. DON'T use autonegotiate!

If one card is full duplex and one is half duplex things will be much slower. The full duplex card will talk while the half duplex one is talking, which is perfectly acceptable for full duplex. The half duplex card will interpret this as a collision, and ignore what the other card just sent. So, you get packet loss.

Packet loss sucks. Time to recover from packet loss is measured in seconds, as software has to figure out that things were actually lost, rather than just the system being slow. That involves waiting a specified timeout period, and then figuring that the packet was lost.

Originally posted by bdavids1
Check speed & duplex on both cards. Make sure they match. DON'T use autonegotiate!

My gigabit cards don't have a 1000TX setting in there.
Just these settings:
Auto
10Mb/s Full
10Mb/s Half
100Mb/s Full
100Mb/s Half

I use the Auto setting to get it to link at 1000Mb/s.

I remember those days.. 56k days back in high school when my friend and I connected two old computers together with a PRINTER cable... yea that ruled... 30kbps ownage. Played half life deathmatch fastest we'd ever played it... with bots and the eked women skins.. lol gotta love old high school memories.

~Adam

Originally posted by DigitalPimp
If you have 2 Gb NIC's then you shouldn't have needed a X-Over.

I am not using a x-over on my setup since I was told that gigE cards have that auto-mdix (I think that is what it's called).

Back