Trying To Install F@H...HELP!

JOKER_JOKER

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
471
I decided to help out and I'm trying to install Folding@Home. I'm installing it through the console, and I followed the installation guide to a T. But after the last step in the installation guide, I guess the console should be able to safely close. However I'm getting something in the console that says

-Writing local files
-Completed 0 out of 20,000,000 steps

And it's been this way for about 10 minutes now. Is something supposed to happen or what?
Sorry for my n00b-osity, but I'm really confused.
 
first...did you install as a service or no...if you didnt install as a service then you need to keep the window open (EM3 will let you hide it) And yes..depending on the protein, it takes a while to advance, again i suggest em3 to moniter the progress...if you wait a little longer, duster should come by and do his noob welcome that has this info :)



 
Give it an hour. You should see it write a checkpoint or complete a frame. It seems to be working so far. To be sure, open your task manager and check that the core (like FAHcore_65.exe) is using your processor (50% for HT processors or dual cores, 100% for others.)

Welcome to the [H]orde!!!

 
So far, it sounds like everything's normal. What you see on the console screen is basically what's being written to the log file, so it won't be updated more than every few minutes. Don't worry, it sounds like you're in good shape.

Welcome!

 
A little update: It's been about 1.5 hours now and I'm at 400,000 out of 20,000,000 steps. It looks like it's going to take all night.
 
JOKER_JOKER said:
A little update: It's been about 1.5 hours now and I'm at 400,000 out of 20,000,000 steps. It looks like it's going to take all night.
oh yea...it will def take all night maybe two...but that's folding :)
 
Yes, all night for some, and others can take several days depending on which work unit you get and the speed of your computer.

Welcome aboard, its addicting.

 
JOKER_JOKER said:
A little update: It's been about 1.5 hours now and I'm at 400,000 out of 20,000,000 steps. It looks like it's going to take all night.

Yes, it takes 24 hours+ for a unit to finish. ;) Enter new found respect for those users with high amounts of points/units completed.
 
People haven't said it yet, but if you said yes to installing as a service you can close out of the window, then reboot your computer and folding will come up automatically in the background and you'll never see it - you'll only see it in taskmanager.

Then you can install EMIII sit back grab a drink and watch your protein fold! :D

 
Though I dont suggest ONLY sitting back and watching your computer fold. You would need a really big drink if you did!


 
wraieghaeien said:
Though I dont suggest ONLY sitting back and watching your computer fold. You would need a really big drink if you did!




And if you never left you'd have lots of other, shall we say, personal problems. :)

 
Back
Top